yfwbus.sys - Yamaha MR816 drive causing BlueScreen of Death?

Hi,
I’ve been having trouble with a blue screen of death. Sometimes happening at random and sometimes happening when I open cubase. I have used the Windows driver verifier to give a more detailed crash report and it is consistently pulling up this driver: yfwbus.sys or yfwbus.sys+3312d

Am I right in thinking this is a driver for the Yamaha Steinberg MR816?

Here is the full report if it’s of use … any ideas?

==================================================
Dump File : 122710-23556-01.dmp
Crash Time : 27/12/2010 19:41:34
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : fffff8800696c12d Parameter 2 : 0000000000000002
Parameter 3 : 0000000000000008 Parameter 4 : fffff8800696c12d
Caused By Driver : yfwbus.sys
Caused By Address : yfwbus.sys+3312d
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\122710-23556-01.dmp
Processors Count : 16
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600

My System:

• Windows 7 Professional run as 64bit
  • 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.27Ghz
  • 12Gb ram
  • Mobo - Tyan S7010
  • Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500
  • Cubase 5 (latest version)
  • And yes you guessed it a Steinberg MR816 (running on the latest v1.6)

Any help would be greatly appreciated … thanks

Hi Icho !

This is “normal”.
Well, normal for Steinberg’s developers :stuck_out_tongue: (looks like there is a outsourcing company doing that).
I first got that blue screen on my notebook when I was just about to record a live show, so I had to find a quick fix in under 60 seconds.
When I got home I’ve decided to check that one more in deep and I must say that, after 2 days of (I can’t write the word here because I think is illegal to do that) I’ve concluded that the software is written… how can I put it… in a manner that I’ve never seen since my high school (girls software :stuck_out_tongue:).
I’ve managed to fix part of the problem but I can’t make public that fix cause al the righs are Steinberg’s.

However, I think you could find a “dirty fix” (unless you are a good software developer and you want to do what I have done).
I think that, the most probable bug you are experiencing in Steinberg’s driver is that you probably have installed another firewire interface in the same system.
Is that right ?

M.

Hi Mirabela … thanks for the reply.

That all sounds a bit rubbish of Stienberg or Yamaha or who ever is in charge!
Too many cooks in the IT kitchen?

Sounds like you’ve had some fun getting into the code to tackle the problem. Unfortunately this would be way over my head, but thanks for the info.

My machine, built about 1 year ago, has only had the MR816 installed on it and have used no other firewire devices. But the firewire connection does go straight into the Mobo, rather than being a separate PCI card. Does that make a difference? … probably not.

I guess my only choice is to wait for Steinberg or Yamaha to sort it out … if they even know there’s a problem. Maybe with the news that FireWire is no longer going to be developed and likely overtaken by the new USB3 standard … this may be a long wait!

Hi Icho !

Pretty bad MB you have out there, pal :ugeek:

Can you check what Firewire chip are you using (can’t find it online) ? There are many complains about non-TI firewire interfaces in audio arena.

Do you have these problems since the first day?
It would be interesting if you could install a dual boot Win$ XP 32bit (ya, I imagine you hate XP :stuck_out_tongue:) just to check if the problem appear there too.
On your notebook, same behavior?

Br,
M.

Hello Mirabela,

please stop posting crap !

@IchoMusic

it looks there is a driver/hardware problem:

1. Please check (when possible) if you have this problem also with an other computer

2. Perhaps you have a look at this knowledge base article regarding the Firewire chipsets.

3. Do you have Hyperthreading enabled or disabled ? When it should be enabled → please disabled it in the BIOS. Please also be sure that you have disabled all kind of powersaving / overclocking options.

Cheers,

Chris

Dear Chris

Thank you for your kind answer.

Is this the Steinberg’s official customer policy, or is just you?

For other users, please take care what are you writing here, I have received a warning from Mister Chris, Forum Administrator.
The warning was regarding my last post.

So, dear user, if you are here, and you have problems with your hardware, please say only good things about Steinberg products, or else.

From my understanding, this IS a USER FORUM, not the Steinberg official support page, or FAQ.
We are the users, and, Mr. Chris, as you probably can see, I have helped Steinberg’s users more than you did.

So, check your paranoia mind-setting before posting here… you know… we are the users, we are paying for your salary, so please, at least have a little respect .

If not for US as HUMAN, at least for our money you have in your pocket.

Best regards,
M.