You OK Sherz?

Just heard about the NZ Earthquake!

Yeah… once again the City of Christchurch (South Island) has been hit. This time the quake was close and shallow. It really is looking pretty bad…the place is absolutely devastated in fact. Unlike the big one back in September this one has hit mid-day too, the worst possible time. And the City’s main icon, the Cathedral has fallen… :frowning:

I was also wondering about Ian when I heard the news, glad he’s safe !

Me too, I can only hope for the best possible outcome for all concerned under the circumstances :frowning: .

All the best,

Mauri.

!!!

I’d totally missed the news …
Glad you’re OK, Ian.

You ain’t far from a fault line too I believe. ?? San andreas

It’s good to hear you’re ok. We had a 4.2 quake last year, which is very unusual for the East Coast USA. I heard about ChristChurch. It’s a shame they were hit twice, and I’ll bet there was already some infrastructure weakening from the previous one about 6 months ago.

Where are you located in relation to the quake?

Best wishes,

Whangarei !

…some others weren’t so lucky

65 confirmed dead so far… :frowning:

NZ is made up of two main Islands. I’m in the North Island, Chrischurch is in the South. 1.5hr flight.

Hey Ian, I’m glad you’re OK!

Glad you’re fine, Ian! Top story on Radio Scotland news this a.m.

oooh, scary stuff! :open_mouth:
stay away from the epicenter, Ian!!!
Easier said than done :confused:

Top story in Toronto this morning also.

Sorry to hear of the troubles in NZ. Take care . jw

This freaks me out, the force it must have taken to bend these…

So Ian, did you north islanders feel it?

I didn’t feel a thing up this way… :confused:

This was in fact only an aftershock following the big quake back in September… but because it was so close this time, and only a few km’s deep, and occuring in the middle of the day - well clearly far more devastating… :frowning:

And just to keep it kind of on-topic, here’s a direct and rather moving account of the quake by a Christchurch based music critic:

Wow… that should make the rest of us feel freakin’ lucky. Thanks for sharing.

From Matthew 24:

006 “And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
007: For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
008: All these are the beginning of sorrows.”

We’ve always had wars, famines, and earthquakes, but it sure seems we’ve had a lot more of all of them here lately. Of course, it’s entirely possible it’s just a coincidence, or a lucky guess, but SOMEBODY --whether it was a dude named Jesus, or Mithra, or was concocted by some secretive proto-Catholic council – said/wrote this roughly 2,00 years ago… and I don’t think there’s any question the incidence of these horrors has escalated in both frequency AND destructiveness even in just last 25 years or so

:question:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?categoryID=6&faqID=110

http://www.suite101.com/content/are-there-more-earthquakes-now-a208929

:exclamation: