You OK Sherz?

Yup, our ability to monitor them has gotten better over the years. So more are just being noticed. Plus, being that humanities population has exploded over the past 50 years or so, there is more likelihood that people will make their home in riskier areas. Of course, people have always been a little daft in that regard. :laughing:

That said, I do feel we’re close to major changes. For instance, a smaller trigger were the protests in Egypt which inspired others around the globe to do the same. If we get a larger trigger, who knows what will happen! It could be natural or human initiated.

Thanks for those links

The thrust of the Bible passage as I read it centers on the concurrence of the events listed, not necessarily the frequency.

The characterization of “more” disasters, including earthquakes, as well as “the last 25 years” was MY OWN, not the Bible’s, if you read it closely. We need to consider the other factors listed, too – war, famine, and epidemics. I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you take ALL the factors listed together – war, threat of war (such as the prospect of nuclear war which still exists), famines, epidemics, AND earthquakes… it at least SEEMS like there has been a more pronounced simultaneity, compared to previous centuries.

I’d be interested to see a study that takes all the factors listed and measures whether or not there HAS been a greater concurrence of them, since it is purely an impression an not necessarily fact.

I’ve been reading lately – in secular sources, by the way – that a HUGE crisis IS looming. It’s complicated, but I’ll be brief:

The only reason the US has been able to weather exploding budget deficits and subsequent borrowing is because the US is the only nation in the world that can pay off these debts by printing money, and THAT is only because the accepted reserve currency in most of the world is still the good ol’ US dollar. All purchases of oil from OPEC, for example, are paid for in dollars.

The problem is that this has placed the US in a very precarious position. It’s been reported that a secret meeting was held last year by a number of countries, among them China, France, Japan, the OPEC countries, and Russia, where the subject of ending the practice of paying for oil with dollars was discussed. If this became the practice, the consequences for the US, and the world, would be devastating.

The net effect would be that the dollar would cease to be the accepted reserve currency in the world. The govt – Fed, state, and local – would be forced to drastically slash budgets, because nobody is going to buy our debt any longer. Interest rates would soar, dramatic deflation would occur, and millions would lose their jobs – probably without a safety net to help them survive.

I know of at least a couple commentators who believe this could result in the end of America as a free, prosperous society. History shows that in the wake of such a calamity, even in an enlightened and educated society, a ruthless dictator assumes power, and the people go along with him, if he can “make the trains run on time” again

I’m a big fan of weather anomalies, geologic events as well as an avid follower of large scale patterns that could inevitably lead the existence of civilization as we know it one way or the other. Having said that (and if the wording wasn’t too erratic to be understood)… I have seen, and felt an underlying unease in regards to the buildup of these events, some natural, but precipitated by mankinds ignorance, and some circumstantial, which just seem to fall at the right place, right time.

One thing I have noticed which seems to outweigh the standard scientific communities brush off, is the fact that centers of population that are hit, seem to be increasing, alarmingly. Before, a tornado might have hit a random trailer park in the midwest somewhere, but more recently, we are hearing of suburban communities being hit. Tornado outbreaks are of course just one cookie in the jar (don’t know why I was thinking of that) :laughing: but you get the idea. It seems that way more and more.

I began to seriously think about it last year. We got two back to back blizzards, which ran up to 56 inches of snow (over 4 1/2 feet in American measurement). Both nor-easters. Normally, we will get a nor-easter every 4 years, and the largest ones we ever had were about 3 feet which happened twice in my lifetime (I’m 45).

The only way I can resolve this personally, is to think that basically, our luck ran out. For instance, many years of earthquakes haven’t hit the San Andreas fault hard enough to cause a large rupture, but the larger ones were north in the pacific towards Alaska, or south of the border in Mexico… but over time, those stresses will build in the population centers, so it is bound to happen, and if this happens in a pattern of similar scale, say, weather events due to changes in the North Atlantic Current, or a global shift of the upper air currents (which are actually related), then close brushes with disaster that were somehow averted, seemingly by luck… are no more and we are in for a hard run.

It would be interesting to see those factors that you mentioned. But I have a sneaking suspicion that those factors ARE being measured, but not available for public dissemination. Just to be clear. I was not denouncing the Bible. I am not religious personally, but I have read a number of religious texts including the Bible. None of them quite fit the path I think is right for me, but they all have some common threads that interest me. …anyway, back to topic.

I don’t think there is any way to really nail down a factual record of events and how they have affected our world, their patterns, and whether they are increasing or decreasing. At least as long as we don’t have a non-descript black id card, and are known as #4 and #5 :smiley:

I believe it.

It’s been reported that a secret meeting was held last year by a number of countries, among them China, France, Japan, the OPEC countries, and Russia, where the subject of ending the practice of paying for oil with dollars was discussed. If this became the practice, the consequences for the US, and the world, would be devastating.

The net effect would be that the dollar would cease to be the accepted reserve currency in the world. The govt – Fed, state, and local – would be forced to drastically slash budgets, because nobody is going to buy our debt any longer. Interest rates would soar, dramatic deflation would occur, and millions would lose their jobs – probably without a safety net to help them survive.

Yes, I saw this as well. China especially, was “buying” our debt, and from what I’ve head, have drastically reduced the amount they are willing to invest, or has decided to halt any further activity. From what I understand, they no longer see it as a worthwhile investment, meaning the risks now outweigh the gains. That is not just bad news. In fact there would be no appropriate way to describe its severity.

I know of at least a couple commentators who believe this could result in the end of America as a free, prosperous society. History shows that in the wake of such a calamity, even in an enlightened and educated society, a ruthless dictator assumes power, and the people go along with him, if he can “make the trains run on time” again

If we blindly follow the governments step-by-step on how to be a free and prosperous society, we are in no way enlightened. We are a herd. Simple as that. Freedom is a pre-requisite to enlightenment. Whether at a personal level or societal level. Our freedom, our ability to support ourselves, our choices as to what we do and how we are in regards to the eyes of society… they have been decreasing for years how. The one thing that both excites and scares me, makes me both apprehensive and hopeful, is that here in America (and I’m sure other countries as well), there will be a limit to what we will take. Then we will step up and take back our freedom in our own revolution. It is happening in the world right now. Soon it will be our turn (regardless of the country you live in, this can apply to every one).

But like all worthwhile lessons. It doesn’t become permanent in our minds, bodies and hearts until we hit the bottom first. Then we can really change. The only thing I would like to maintain my awareness of, would be the ability to witness the downfall and rise from the ashes as an observer, an alien as it were. So I can remember it as one of the most significant times in our history with clarity.

JohnOnKeyz & Twighlight:

Stop.

+1

R E P E N T !

:laughing:

Hey Doug. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago you saying the USA would be defunct in 50 years.

Your post above is very enlightened and I agree pretty much with it.

We are on the brink of major changes. The current Middle Eastern upheavals are a pretext to a huge chaos in the region in order to rewrite borders there.

Even the BBC news has been spewing rhetoric along the lines of the USA no longer being the World’s policeman. And given the BBC is a USA sycophant that is strong stuff.

It’s worth remembering that the most powerful people in the ME are European.

I propose, that if we are to continue, that we take this to another thread, at least. I for one am not a proponent of imposing my ideas and theories upon others that don’t want to hear it.

I apologize to all that I may have put off. I have strong beliefs that work well for me, but I’ll admit that sometimes I can get too enthusiastic. This thread is about the New Zealand earthquake, and I fear that we have hijacked it.

The Christchurch quake death toll rose to 113 this morning…

And, up to 22 people are believed to have been buried in the rubble of the cathedral after the spire toppled.

Tonight I watched the story of a man who was saved…one harrowing incident an Australian doctor visiting Christchurch for a medical conference amputated a trapped man’s legs using only a hacksaw and a Leatherman multi-purpose tool. The victim was not under a full general anaesthetic when his legs were amputated but he was heavily sedated. Meanwhile in another a woman held her dead brother’s hand as she cried for help from under the debris. 100’s of people are in welfare centres overnight, many have received serious injuries and numerous patients are in intensive care.

I have heard of the txt messages and phone calls that trapped foreign students have sent back home to their parents in Japan and elsewhere…final goodbyes to mum and dad… 90 internaional students in all. Families overseas with relatives caught up in Tuesday’s deadly earthquake have been urged to prepare for the worst type of news. Those students are now deseased. Two British nationals are also known to have died, amongst Chinese and many other nationalities.

One backpacker was killed inside his parked van, which was struck by bricks. Tearful survivors wandered the streets, dazed and bloodied. On young man was in his car on High St and saw buildings collapse on to pavements crowded with lunchtime shoppers, burying 30 or 40 people.

Today I watched the heart-wrenching cries of a woman who held her dead brother’s hand as she called for help from under the debris of the collapsed Iconic Bar in Manchester Street.

I watched numerous eye-witness accounts:

“I looked just out onto the pavement and a man who got hit on the head from falling masonary was moving slowly. He then stopped moving and went quite pale. You could see the color draining from his fingers, and then his finger tips.”

“I looked towards Coffee Culture at some random noise and saw raw sewage coming through from the second floor and drenching several customers”

There is no end to such horror stories…

And the Kiwi spirit kicked in when today I watched thousands of students rally together, forming an ‘army’ - willing to do anything that is required. Helping the elderly, the homeless, the desperate and the lost. Sourcing water, sourcing food and shelter. Digging outdoor toilets (longdrops as we call them), digging, shifting, lifting and moving. Anything…they will do it. Whatever is needed.

This weekend I will not see my daughter. Her family have opened their home to another family from Christchurch. They have a child my daughters age and she wants to spend time with them. I am proud of her. My friend Eddie too has opened his home to anyone needing to get away… We’re a small country and in such tragic circumstances families come together and people go beyond the call of duty. The health services, emergency services, the New Zealand military, Police, Urban Search and Rescue and any volunteers helping out are doing a tremendous effort while working long hours. Also, a huge thank youhas to go out to all the international assistance. Our brothers across the Tasman, when in need during the terrible floods in Queensland, we were there, and now you return the favour. The ANZAC spirit lives on. USA teams with experience in Haiti and eslewhere, UK, Singapore, Taiwan and China… seven nations in all, are all here to help. Its comforting to know we have friends around the world. Thanks.

And sadly and shamefully today I also saw this on a USA-based Christian Website:

" The Christchurch earthquake was a warning – God has decided to clean out NZ of its wickedness, perversion, prostitution, bullying, gangs, drugs, violence, paedophilia, and of its witchcraft and black magic."
"Murderous Women - NZ’s Culture of “Mana Wahine”
They are a huge part of NZ society - women who must have power and control at all costs. And to maintain that power, plenty of them are willing to murder someone they see as a challenge to their power."Even worse, these “women” are willing to murder the children of a male whom they see as a challenge to their power.“They do not do it themselves - they pay someone else to do the murders for them. Murderous women paying thugs to murder someone else are part and parcel of NZ life - a feature of Kiwi life that Kiwis hide from foreigners. They know how evil it is, that is why the hide it. But they are not willing to stop it.”
“The message is simple - “whores breed murderers”. NZ consistently rates as the society with the most promiscuous women on the planet - ie the biggest sluts and whores on earth. Is it any wonder that NZ is over-run with violent thugs? Their mothers breed them out of their own evil and promiscuity. Just as the devil’s murderous nature came through in Eve’s child Cain, so NZ children are being spiritually contaminated with evil, while they are still eggs in their mothers’ ovaries. These murderous NZ thugs are bad from birth. They are, thanks to their mothers’ evil, bad from conception.”

F**K off. This is disgusting, highly offensive… and while I realise these are probably the words of heartless, dementid fanatics, it’s really is incredibly distasteful and unwarranted.
The site has now been blocked.

@ Sherz - thanks for bringing back the reality to the fore… such a terribly sad state of affairs

@ the political theorists/hijackers, start another thread… have a heart

Yes, it sure puts our life in perspective doesn’t it ?

I’ve been following the story on BBC and it’s truly heartbreaking, my sympathies go to everyone down there. :frowning:

+1 to that Robin !

All of this suffering and discussion has me thinking, we banded together for the Haiti relief cause ( just over a year ago), Ian, is there a central agency that is providing relief in NZ that we could do something similar for?

What does everyone think? I know the results may be limited, but even the positive energy generated cannot be bad…

Just thinkin’ out loud…

R

Mr. Ian:

I apologize. I wasn’t “moralizing” or suggesting in any way that the quake in NZ or anywhere else was a “judgment”. I simply thought it was an interesting topic and was in fact curious what the actual data was. I agree, all such commentary like the one you linked to is insensitive and quite in error, in my opinion. (I sure hope that wasn’t meant to be some sort of response to anything I wrote). However, I apologize along with John for going OT here

Donate to Red Cross

Google Crisis Response - Christchurch Earthquake

Glad you are OK Ian.

On the other topic being discussed here:
We are no more, or no less, in turmoil now than we have ever been (fact).
Our willingness and desire to offer an opinion on anything and everything has deafened us to the obvious.

I’m glad that you’re ok, Ian. My heart goes out to your countrymen.

+1, Mixup. Sigable :slight_smile:

Robin … I offer voiceover and spoken word as required.

:slight_smile:

Hmmm… well, as this is the only bite so far, no need… seems like Haiti was more impactful in the minds of our readers than New Zealand perhaps? Or should we start a new topic?