Your MIDI Remote strategy?

Hello !

I have a Remote SL mk1 25.
I already started creating some MIDI remote mappings.

One for plugins with QC (both fine encoders and rotaries) and another for mixing.

I have a question for Cubase veterans ;D
What do YOU put into your mappings ?

What are your favorites functions mapped ?
Both for music making and mixing.

Hi and welcome to this forum.

Well, the MIDI Remote API supports plenty of areas to control. It all comes down to what YOU consider to be the most popular in your own workflow to map. At the end of the day, you can easily change assignments as you get a better idea to what you really want to be mapped.

I chose to include plenty of stuff in my own implementations, mixer and transport (obviously) instrument and inserts quick controls, channel strip, sends, and commands sets. You can see some screenshots for example in this script page: Komplete Kontrol S-Series MK2 Custom Script . Others choose more simple and targeted mappings, while others choose to split their assignments to multiple controllers.

2 Likes

My approach to any controller would be to see what’s physically useful and immediate (easy to reach), and map the functions accordingly. I also have a Remote SL Mk1 (no keys) but I’m currently not using it with Cubase, however there are lots of options for all those pads. The difficulty I see is in making use of the display, as that would require a custom script (in other words, possible, but very time-consuming, and you’ll need programming skills).

So start small, play around with the mapping, find out what would be useful, and then investigate the API to see if it would be worth investing the time to program a custom script (if there’s not one already on available).

I have one macro that makes coffee. But I haven’t got it working yet. :frowning:

I think it all depends on what kind of work you’re doing. If you’re doing post, your controller will be set up differently than someone who works with loops and samples. Just how it is.

But the coffee macro is definitely universal.

It seems i will have to test run my mappings :wink:

I already found a funny trick : i used CC32 (not CC00,who is detected by default) from “Bank” select for “mouse AI” :upside_down_face:

One thing is sure : MIDI remote is better than Remote SL Mackie HUI and Automap integration.
Even if those two report real parameters names, like tracks names.
But i don’t care that much about it, i prefer to look at computer screen for feedback.

Hi,

You can do this with MIDI Remote (scripting) too.

I don’t want to touch code myself ;D
Already lost days on Ableton doing it :smiley:

If i need visual feedback one day, i will probably buy another controller with already made script, like Komplete Kontrol S-Series MK2 Custom by m.c. above :wink:

here are mine:
Focus Quick Controls 1-6 on rotary knobs
Focus Quick Controls 7-8 on soft buttons (good for features to turn on/off the whole plugin or functions within the plugin like saturation on/off, Delta,…)

Soft Buttons:
Metronom Click on&off
transport section (play, Stop, Record, next marker, previous marker)
undo (when i´m recording and instrument is on my lap its very usueful to have undo as a one button solution, so i can easily undo, get back to startingpoint and start recording again)
Metric AB - Switch A/B State
Metric AB - toggle between reference Tracks
Metric AB - Mix: Collapse to Mono
Metric AB - Mix: only Sides
Rotary Knobs: Send FX Level 1-8
Soft Button: Enable/Disable FX Send 1-8
Output Pad On/off (like -10db)
open VSTi (when your current track selection is a midi/instrument track)
arm record on the selected track
arm monitoring on the selected track

Midi Track Specific:
4x Soft buttons that turn on/off Midi Effects 1-4 on the current track. i use these 4 Effects slots for example to filter Aftertouch and other CC incoming signals.

and then i have plenty of keyboard shortcuts assigend to my Streamdeck too :smiley:

2 Likes

Good question! Myself I use my controller (using a Kurzweil masterkeyboard with 4 assignable faders and 3 assignable buttons) in a rather different way:

• when in MIDI remote mode - determined by the MIDI send channels - I have volume, pan, cue send 1 &2 on/off and respective values, and in other page banks of 4 faders/channels at a time. But when changing MIDI send (for wich I have another MIDI setup in the keyboard, at the turn of a knob) I enter CC control mode, so I can control 4 CC parameters at once, wich is a real bonus when working with orchestral libraries, wich I do very very often. So, it’s kind of a mixed setup.
    I’ve never found usefulness in enabling transport functions. Been using Cubase and Nuendo for so long now I got a really good muscle memory for those functions - really, what’s the difference between hitting a button in your controller or just hitting space in your computer keyboard? But that’s me, of course, and, as always, YMMV.
2 Likes

Here’s a photo of a previous setup I had. There’s just no qwerty keyboard there :slight_smile:

1 Like

the main difference for me is is that using a dedicated control device can used easily be operatated with one hand and the controls are all located in the same area of the controller and are not spread like around on the keyboard

when you hit space (stop) on the keyboard once, it stops.
when you hit space on a controller or click with the mouse onto the gui, on the first hit stops, on the 2nd hit it returns back to the position where it started, which is very usuful when recording, i dont think this is working with spacebar as well (but i think you could map a 2nd key to the return function)

so a practical example, you record yourself playing some instrument (guitar, bass,…) and you only have one hand free, your 2nd hand is required to hold the instrument in its place, so doing shortcuts like CTRL+Z for undo are doable but not so comfortable, or reaching to the mouse is also possible, but takes a bit longer

instead you are able hit some big softbuttons that you cant miss :smiley: on a hardware controller

1. hit the stop button twice (stops and returns to previous starting point)
  2. hit undo (removes the previous recorded take)
  3. hit the record button and again you are rolling :slight_smile:

you can hit these 4 buttons within less of a second :slight_smile: and it helps me to not get out of the flow of recording

1 Like

Hi,

You can make a Macro out of this and assign the Macro to one button only. :wink:

1 Like

ha, thats a good one, thats true :slight_smile: i didnt think of that
i guess i will make myself such a macro :slight_smile:

This is the default behavior of the numpad 0 key.
In Edit > Key Commands it is under Transport > Stop.

2 Likes

Nice help thanks !
Here is my progress (if someone need a “starter” for Remote SL MK1).
Cubase 13 Remote SL.zip (12,6 Ko)

I only use Port 1. Because Midi Remote will “filter” what is already mapped.
So it let keyboard, pitch … through.

I use “Bank” data select encoder CC32 as Mouse AI … so it got an use now :smiley:

2 pages : Plugins default AND Mixing

1 Like

Cool!

Whenever you feel ready to, think about uploading the remote in a new thread in the dedicated shared-midi-remote tag. It’s always nice to share :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have start to work on a script for moog matriarch as a midi controller. Cant find it anyware. It take time, and dont know then im done. But a new thread for scripts it a realy good idé :slight_smile:

2 Likes

what’s the difference between hitting a button in your controller or just hitting space in your computer keyboard?

And also…

With a controller, you feel a bit like Captain Kirk on the Enterprise.
This psychological effect improves the workflow enormously. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

also using a controller allows you to control cubase even when cubase is not in the foreground but background.

for example, when i film videos of myself playing some guitar, my remote control software for my camera is my active foreground application where i can control my camera.
A midi remote control still allows me to control cubase even when the app is running in the background :slight_smile: its not a big big thing, but still has a little bit of a positive impact on my workflow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Funny you say that. One of my aims in TouchOSC was to do an LCARS controller :joy: but that was put in mothballs by the fact that more graphics = more processing power. I’m recycling old stuff.
I hope the people at Hexler take on my suggestion to have some minimal SVG support… that would change everything :vulcan_salute:

Going back to the original post strategy - I’ve explained this somewhere else but it’s worth repeating: there is no perfect template, there is, however a template that is perfect for you.
My personal mantra is: if it’s more than a click/keystroke away, then you might want a button for that. I configured a play button on my controller, but I was hardly using it because pressing the spacebar was just too comfy.

3 Likes