ZALMAN CNPS12X in iStarUSA D-400-6-RED case....????

Hey guys,

A very blessed 2014 to y’all.
Has any of you used a ZALMAN CNPS12X in iStarUSA D-400-6-RED case succesfully?
I have the mobo, cpu and fan installed this case.
When closing the case I discovered that the fan is 1 or 1.5 mm too high.
I mean I would have to cut a hole in the top cover of the case.
Looking for the option to lower the mobo, I was searching online to find shorter standoff’s, but uptill now I didn’t find any.
Any advise to fix this? (before I run off to cut a hole in the top plate.)
I paid close to a hundred bucks for this fan (excl. shp, Hand & import taxes etc) and it’s famous for the 22db lower noise, so I can’t throw it away.
Thanx in advance
ncpstudio

I wouldn’t cut a hole in your case, that would greatly affect the air flow and also let out a lot more noise from inside your case than necessary.
Can’t you return the fan (or the case) and get something that does fit?

Well that could be an option, but I bought these between march 25th - 27th, 2013.
The other thing is that I live in Suriname, South (Latin) America, which would make it an expensive venture…I guess.

I came across the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm SSO CPU Cooler, which is approx 12.5 cm in height.
But I don’t know if it’ll fit on the 2011 cpu…

Oh yeah there are vent holes, like 1-1.5mm perforations where I thought of cutting.
They’re across the whole back of the top plate. So I’m not sure if there would be turbulence.

When I was building my current machine (see signature), I wanted to use the same case that you are.
The concern I had was having adequate air flow for such a compact case.

It might be very cluttered in there, and Sandy Bridge E processors run hot! There may not be enough volume inside the case to avoid blocking the proper air flow, therefore making the quieter more passive coolers less effective!

Ultimately I went in a different direction, and went with the Silverstone Fortress, and a Noctua NH-D14! Not as quiet as I would like, but I don’t have any thermal issues!

Just something to consider, if you haven’t already!
Al