Zero line staff

I am looking to make a zero line staff so that I can make pages look like the early part of a piano method, where the notation only has fingerings and suggests direction, rather than specific notes.

The closest I can get to that is a single line percussion staff, or deleting the staff all together, but then I can’t input notes. Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to the forum, zutzutriot. At the moment there’s no good way to produce an instrument with a zero-line staff, I’m afraid.

Although you can’t do this within Dorico, a user shared an XML file in the Dorico Facebook group that contains an instrument set up not to show staff lines - it’s in the Files section of the group, and it’s called “0line.musicxml”. If you search “0line” in the Facebook group you’ll find some explanatory comments :slight_smile:

I tried 0line but the problem is I need it to be within an existing document, and you can’t export it into anything :frowning:

If you import 0line.xml as a new flow in your existing document, you will have the instrument added to your project. Then you can add it to the other flow(s) in Setup Mode, and finally delete the imported flow.

This isn’t gonna be officially supported, but take an instrument you never use, and hack the instruments.xml file that can be found in Program Files/Steinberg/Dorico 3. Make a backup first, but just change the line for “numStafflLines” to 0 and it will work for that instrument too.

this worked like an absolute dream; thank you!

Does anyone know the equivalent location for these program files on a Mac? I didn’t see it in Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico.

I tried importing an xml file I created in Sibelius with zero staff line, and it came in with 5 staff lines.

Better yet, if someone has a Dorico file with a zero-staff-line set up, I would love to have a copy if you wouldn’t mind sharing it. :slight_smile: :smiling_face:

ZeroLines.zip (2.2 KB)

If you download and unzip this file, it will produce a folder called ZeroLines. In the Finder, use Go > Go To Folder to go to this location:

/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/

Inside there, create a folder called Dorico 5, then inside that folder create another called DefaultLibraryAdditions (note, no spaces in this folder name). Finally, drag the ZeroLines folder into the DefaultLibraryAdditions folder.

Now restart Dorico: you should find a zero-line instrument in the Sketch family in the instrument picker.

3 Likes

Thank you Daniel! Sorry for the delayed response.

I found an earlier post with a similar file, and I tried this one, too. But the barlines are too short. Here is an snippet from the manuscript, showing what I’m going for:

Let me know if this is possible. I’ve been removing lines in Illustrator, but ideally I would do this in the Dorico file.

Check Engraving options->Barlines->minimum barline protrusion if I remember correctly.

Jesper

Yup

3 Likes

Thank you jesele! That did it. :slightly_smiling_face: