Zoom track rows - any advice?

I’m looking for a key command (or a macro sequence) that can change the height of my tracks to, let’s say, 9 rows. I want a quick key command that does this in one step.

The available key commands only allow for a maximum of 4 rows of track height. Although there is a key command that opens a dialog box for the number of track rows (“zoom tracks N rows”), you then have to manually type in a value. I tried doing this with a macro, but I couldn’t identify a command that inputs a desired numerical value. Any ideas?

Here’s another one that frustrates me and slows down editing. Let’s say I have my tracks set at row height 3. I now want to zoom in on an automation lane for more detailed tweaking. Here are steps I have to follow: range tool (#2) > Alt-S to zoom > object tool (#1)…edit automation points… Alt-D to return to row height 3. Hmmmm, this seems like an excessive amount of clicking to get in, tweak, and get out. Is there a more efficient way to zoom in and do some fine editing, or is the best there is in Cubase?

Thanks! (by the way, I’ll post in several forums)

Try hitting z, it’ll maximize the height of current track, or automation track/lane. Hit z again to return to previous view

Thanks. At least on my system, when I use “Z” all my tracks shrink to a height of 1 row! That’s not what I want at all. I then have to re-adjust my track heights. No big deal, but it’s just more keyboard clicking that I have to do. Yeah, I remember trying out Z many years ago, but because it messed up the number of rows, I stopped using that command. Perhaps this should not be happening and there’s a wrong setting either in my Preferences or somewhere else?

A Cubase guru, Mr. Greggybud, encouraged me to post again….

To recap: the objective is to expand a very short section of a track, tweak the automation points in fine detail, and then revert to my previous project view. I’m working on only 1 track at a time, only 1 or 2 measures in length (not the entire length of the song), and just the automation lane of either an (VSTI) instrument, FX or group track.

I’ve tried various key commands, but the best (so far) is as follows:

• Range tool (2) to highlight the desired section
  • Zoom to Selection (this one is great)
  • Object tool (1)

Proceed to edit automation points in an expanded view so I can tweak with fine precision…

• Undo Zoom (revert to previous track size)

To me, this is one of those obvious little chores that is probably reqiored daily by Cubase users and that can indeed be accomplished with the available KCs, but is one that really deserves a more efficient routine than the one described above. With my mouse set to the object (pointer) tool, I want to quickly highlight a small section, have it open large both vertically and horizontally, allow me to tweak automation points with precision, then revert back to my original project view.

And, on a related note, any wizards out there familiar with the (project?) Logical Editor that could suggest how to set track row heights to some set value (such as 8 or 9) without having to type these in each time?

Could you achieve somehow what you want just with repeating a zoom in command?

ie, in the macro, you’d sort of have a base zoom starting point, maybe a Zoom Preset, you’d start there, and then after in the macro repeat the regular Zoom in command to the desired amount…

Zoom Preset 1
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks

If you want to get fancy, you could do

Zoom Mem
Zoom Preset 1
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks
Zoom In Tracks

And then when finished task, you hit Zoom Zap and you’re back to where you were before you zoomed in. maybe helps with the in and out workflow you want.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I’m trying to find a way to zoom in - out the mixing console.

In a big session with, 35 tracks for instance, i must [zoom in - out] from the menu & it goes by small increment.
Is there a command to zoom in - out ?
Thanks for your time guys.

Unless you make a macro yourself (like 8 times zoom in or out) no.

You could also use one of the four mixconsoles in a different zoom level than the others. Workspaces don’t retain the zoom level unfortunately.

Holly Molly !!! i’ve just discovered the key-command function & the macro builder :scream:

1 cool thing - you type the command first, to make sure it’s not used for an other action.
I’m gonna work the macros now …
They are zillions of key command available so i can only imagine the possibilities with the macros.
Cubase is pretty amazing actually. I bought it last week so i need to tweak it more in depth.

What do you mean ?
I’ve just tried in a new fresh project & it has retained my zoom in - out key command …

I mean:

1. Open Mixconsole 1. (F3)
  2. Zoom waaaaaay out.
  3. Save new workspace.
  4. Zoom waaaaaay in.
  5. Save new workspace.
  6. Change between workspaces.

Unfortunately both workspaces will have the same zoom. You can’t save the zoom of the mixconsole in a workspace.

Good to see that macros will do the job once more! :+1:t3:

ohh ok … i misunderstood " workspace " … there are loads of way to customise things in cubase : image (haven’t tried yet) - workspace - key commands - macros …
Thanks for your time, your help :ok_hand:
Going from DAW to an other takes some time but i’ll get there …

1 Like