Zooming and position while switching layouts

Is it possible to get the same zoom and position while switching layouts? See GIF for what is happening
Layouts.gif

+1

You can set default zoom level for both page views and galley views in General Preferences at any time (changing as needed) and the zoom levels can be different for both. This may help. I believe Dorico could improve on zooming as far as positioning is concerned.

Dorico remembers the last zoom level and position for each layout that you’ve edited, which I think is on the whole helpful. In your specific case, Cees, where every part is one page in duration, and they all use the same page size and orientation, it would theoretically be possible for Dorico to keep each page in the same position on the screen and at the same zoom level when switching between them, but in general terms that’s not really practical, because the number of pages and orientation is quite likely to differ. And I suspect that it might be just as annoying to find that when you are zoomed in looking at one layout, when you switch to the next, it is suddenly zoomed in to an apparently random area.

I don’t know what is happen exactly: since I changed the zoom level in the preferences from 200% to 100% and back to 200% it works a lot better. It was the first time to change that option in the preferences.

When I switch between two tabs e.g. one shows full score the other one a part of the score then the part view (here 2nd tab) always switches to another zoom level in page view (here to 76%) even when I set it to full page view. As soon as I switch to full score and then back to the part score the part score is set back to 76%.

I have attached a video to show it.
Because of the limited fie size the movie is not on a high quality.
switching Tabs.m4v.zip (1.11 MB)

[quote=“dspreadbury, post:4, topic:106788”]
Dorico remembers the last zoom level and position for each layout that you’ve edited

Not here. It changes to the default zoom level when I switch to another layout.
Am I missing something ?

Perhaps you can attach the project in which you’re having this problem, and specify exactly what steps you’re taking? In general you should find that Dorico remembers the zoom level and position in each layout, but if you’re switching back and forth between galley view and page view, that has an impact, as Dorico will apply the default zoom level specified in Preferences in that circumstance.

hi Daniel,
here you are.
I only switch zoom level in page view - didn’t use galley view.
Madsopen minds.dorico (472.4 KB)

Mads, if you show the tab bar, you’ll find that the viewport position is preserved when you switch layouts. (You don’t need to use multiple tabs, just showing the tab bar is sufficient.)

Thank’s Daniel. It works.
Is that in the manual somewhere ? - I couldn’t find it. :thinking:

I would love a way to turn this off, and have it keep the current zoom level when switching layouts. Often I’ll do a repetitive task, like copying system breaks, then using the shortcuts to go from layout to layout pasting the breaks, and modifying the casting off. I would much rather have Dorico keep the zoom level I’ve specified for the task I’m currently doing, rather than reverting to the zoom level I was using for some detailed positioning task I was doing hours ago.

3 Likes

I would love to have this behaviour extended to when I am editing part templates/flow headings. Currently when closing the editor Dorico jumps back to flow 1 /default zoom no matter which flow I am currently working in/zoom level (working on a musical with 32 flows).