1.2.3 problems

Hello and thanks for the new update which has the amazing feature of copying parts and pasting them with shared tools…it will save me tons of time!

There are some broken things though.
If I try to delete a part Live closes…

Another problem (which I have had for some time now) is that inside some VST intruments such as Korg Triton, if I position myself in the search box some keyboard keys such as “Q” “H” “G” are not accepted, and this is annoying when I have to search for a sound by name… for example “Harp”…

Thanks for your attention

… argh, I see. Fixed. The workaround is to open the context-menu (right-click) and select “Cut”.

Have you tried to activate the “key” control? Open your Plug-Editor. On top of it, there’s a “abc” control. When this is activated, all key events will be forwarded to the Plug-In.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 16.55.19

/Michael.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

SAME ISSUE HERE.
Retrograde at once to 1.2.2, i found myself the “cut” workaround, but i prefered to retrograde.

Next… :grinning: :smiley:

to go back to 1.2.2 do I have to uninstall 1.2.3 first?

Yes, rollback is not admitted if you try to install without unistall.

Use the own steinberg program to uninstall, whithout any problem, then install old version you want.

License will work, and your preferences too, no need to do nothing more.

(If you use any software, as Revo Unistaller or others, that clean the REGEDIT (I supposing you are on windows) DON’T CLEAN ALL, let the steinberg unistall routine works, and you are safe and can restore old version in a minute!)

1 Like

Thank you very much!

I tried to enable key control but it still doesn’t work

Another problem of the new version is that the layers that share an instrument don’t have the independent MIDI volume (fader with orange key).
If I move one of these it is set the same in all shared layers

If those Layers are set to the same MIDI channel, that is to be expected. Those send Midi Volume to the Layer Instrument, and if they send to the same MIDI channel, all shared volumes will move along with it. Same for Pan btw.

sorry, but wasn’t the concept that it is not the layer that is shared, but the instrument? it is intelligent precisely to make the Midi levels independent.

the pan, on the other hand, is independent

Try this: new project, if no Layer is present, add one (Layer 1). Set output to MIDI channel 2.
Now crate another Layer (Layer 2), and set it to share with the first Layer. If you move either MIDI volume fader, both will move.
Set Layer 2 to MIDI out chammel 3: they move independently.

Now create a new Part (Part 2), and set its “Layer 1” to share the first Layer of Part 1. Move its MIDI volume fader, then go back to Part 1: the shared Layer still has its old fader value.

Layers 1 and 2 in the first Part both send the same MIDI commands to the shared instrument on the same channel and at the same time, so they are linked.

When Part 2 is selected, its Layer will send a new value to the shared instrument, so it is not linked. The rule is: if (and only if) 2 or more Layers within the same Part (!) send on the same channel (!), their controls are linked.

On another note, it looks like Duplicate Layer Shared does not quite work as intented, will check.

Grazie per la tua risposta

It works as you say Solo and only if the midi channel of the Part2 layer is set to “any”. If instead I set it to “2” the modification of the MIDI volume (orange) is also reflected in the layer of Part1 of which the instrument is shared.

And that’s the problem!
they are on the same channel, but in different Parts, so I expect each layer to have the possibility to assign its own MIDI volume, which does not reflect on the shared instrument in OTHER parts layer

In practice, in my opinion, the shared instrument with multiple layers makes sense only and only if we are talking about Virtual Instruments, because with external modules you simply need to copy a layer and paste it into another Part.

I’ll give a practical example (which is what I’ll actually have to do for August):
50-song setlist, completely based on VST instruments (no external MIDI module).

I have a PAD sound that I use on 40 songs.
In each of these songs, depending on the intro, verse, bridge, chorus, outro, the same sound will have 5 different volumes.
You quickly understand that it is not manageable to load 5 instances x 40 songs (200 instances) to have only a volume change for the same sound!
Realize that this thing is repeated for another 10/15 sounds to share, and it becomes completely unmanageable.

The need is to load the VST instrument into a layer and share it, provided that each layer has the possibility to intervene on the MIDI volume and that this does not influence the layers of other parts involved in sharing the instrument.

It is obvious that an instrument cannot be shared in another layer in the same part with the same midi channel and be “independent”, but I’m not asking for this.

This is why it is important to be able to quickly copy a layer in a part, position myself in another part of any song and be able to “quickly paste” a layer with the shared instrument.
Also because the “shared” pull-down menu system, when you have many (very many) instruments open, becomes difficult to consult (at least for my old eyes).

To let you understand…
Until LIVE was released, which I bought immediately upon release because for me it was a “gift from heaven”, for live projects in which I was forced to use VST instruments
I used Cubase, devising ways to have quick patch changes on multiple midi channels using folders containing the MIDI tracks I needed that enabled recording with the use of Macros and with program changes, always assigned to Macros to make so that either pressing a key on my musical keyboard, or “hovering” the cursor over a MIDI track using external Midi Loop software, would disable recording, move to the next folder, and enable recording.
You understand this is quite brainy to handle, however it worked great.
LIVE is an exceptional project that has enormous potential, it has an ease and immediacy of use that I find fantastic, but it absolutely needs to be flexible on these fundamental aspects.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope I clarified why I’m such a pain in the ass, I hope you understand!

Last thing, the solution suggested by Spork doesn’t work for me…

Thank you very much for your attention

But that’s exactly how it is. I am confused.

Fixed with the next version, Duplicte (or Paste) Layer Shared did not actually create a shared instance yet, sorry.

Please watch the video (it’s a link to wetransfer).

Part 1 - Layer 1
Part 2 - Layer 1, I share the instrument of Layer1 Part1 and changing MIDI volumes is reflected on both layers

https://we.tl/t-TgXFxpbqz7

this is wonderful, thank you!

Watched and saw what you mean, but cannot reproduce it at all.

There is a part missing from the video where you assign the shared Instrument to the second layer. When starting a new project, I have a default Layer with Halion Sonic SE. Then new Part, then in the new Parts’ Layer select from menu Shared/Song 1 Part 1 Layer 1. Then either move the 2nd Layer MIDI fader and check Part 1, or as you did, first go to Part1, set to MIDI, move fader and then check Part 2: in both cases, the other Layer has not changed its MIDI volume. Tested with version 1.2.3.749.
If you can still reproduce it, pls. start with a new project and describe step by step what you do. Maybe try to set the initial Layer to Halion Sonic SE, you never know…

I can set either Layer to any channel whatsoever, they remain detached (faders move individually).

Thank you for your answer.

Here the step-by-step video link starting from a new project

https://we.tl/t-yEvRn2yEBr

(halion sonic SE doesn’t appear in my plugin list (not even in plugin information), probably because I only installed Halion7 and Halionsonic

This instead concerns the problem of research on Korg Triton, some keys of the keyboard do not respond despite enabling the function

https://we.tl/t-DcuxWeX7E9

This is a version 1.2.3.749

Thank you very much

I did exactly what you did, and the Layer MIDI Volumes remain detached.
But wait - I assume that - as it is exactly what you want - you have unset “Edit/Preferences/Layer/Shared Midi Controls global”, right? If not, well, then they are shared globally and then those shared MIDI controls are linked…of course?

this is the solution. sorry but I did not know this option that was actually selected. now the midi volumes are independent! thank you very much