10.3 different behavior - recordings sample rates

thanks for 10.3 ! very happy to have the option to disable undo after save… but there’s one thing i noticed that’s changed… not sure if 10.3 has broken something, but i thought i’d point it out.

one of the best features in 10, for me, is that… and i hope you can follow this rather specific description…

• in my mastering studio i’m recording out of pro tools and into wavelab

• in 9.5 if the sample rate of my pro tools session was DIFFERENT than the sample rate of my last recorded wavelab session and i hit CMD-R to bring up the record dialog. my whole audio system would grid to a halt as the recording rate in WL wouldn’t match the rate of the pro tools session. i’d then have to change the recording sample rate and continue.

• but, for some reason (i’m not sure it was documented) in WL 10, no matter what the sample rate is or was, WL’s record dialog would automatically match what pro tools was set at. it was a VERY nice change and has saved me a lot of frustration since WL 10’s release.

but now, in 10.3, it’s back to the pre 10 days where WL’s recording sample rate does not automatically match pro tools and the whole system grinds to a halt again.

PG, any idea why this is? or what may have happened?

thanks
taylor

in WL 10, no matter what the sample rate is or was, WL’s record dialog would automatically match what pro tools was set at. it was a VERY nice change and has saved me a lot of frustration since WL 10’s release.

In WaveLab 10.0.0 to 10.0.20, and for certain audio devices, there was a sample rate change problem, that caused WaveLab to fail to set the sample rate. For instance, if the audio driver was set to 96k before WaveLab launches, than when WaveLab would try to set it to 44.1, this would fail.
Maybe you have experimented this bug as a feature :slight_smile:
But the rule must be: the last record dialog setting is what decides the sample rate of the record dialog.
There would need an option to do otherwise, and this option currently does not exist.

hmm… ok… well, on my system, and setup, from 10.0 until now, the sample rate in WL record dialog would automatically set… in v9 - 9.5 and now 10.3 i have to set it manually… i preferred the auto-setting! :smiley: in fact it was one of the nicest “features” of v10… that my audio system no longer freaked out when i opened the record dialog in WL. and just took care of itself, setting to the correct rate of pro tools and my convertors.

did you specifically make a change somewhere between 10.20 and 10.30? because it’s different for me today.

did you specifically make a change somewhere between 10.20 and 10.30?

Yes. But as I tried to explain, this is a bug fix.
However, I understand that for your case (recording), this was not a problem.

in fact it was one of the nicest “features” of v10

This I could not have expected!
I note the possibility to add an option for this behavior, in a future update.

Haha, I love it - bug becomes feature!

:mrgreen:

I would also like to have this “bug” :slight_smile:

But the bug still is there: I just edited a file downloaded from a sharegroup (44/16). Sometimes these downloaded files don’t have the right pitch because they are transferred from old tapes or LPs. I want to compare the file with another recording from a broadcast (48/16). After playing the reference file (48/16) in JRiver’s MediaCenter the file (44/16) in WL sounds about a half-tone sharp. Playing the same file in the finder has the correct pitch.
Frank

Hi!

Are you sure about Finder maybe the sample rate is converted on the fly
WL doesn’t sample rate convert a audio file by itself you have to tell WL!?

regards S-EH