10.5.2 Real-Time Peak When Initiating Recording

Hi All:

I’ve run into a strange problem in the last couple days where Cubase Pro 10.5.2 hits a real-time peak and throws the “Audio Drop-Out Detected” message when starting a recording. This will happen in a totally empty project with only one audio track. The real-time peak hits max then jumps back down to an acceptable level and causes no audible clicks/pops.

I’m running a UR44 and get this error even when changing buffer size up to 512 samples at 44.1/24 bit. If I open Cubase Pro 10, I can run at 128 samples at 88.2/32 bit float without this issue. I’ve also tried disabling multi-thread processing, ASIO guard, disk pre-load, etc. but no luck.

I’ve noticed that starting in Safe Mode and disabling preferences fixes the issue temporarily. If I set preferences to Factory Default, it seems to also work for a few hours then the issue comes back. It makes me think there is something in 10.5.2 preferences that is causing a “real-time peak” spike when starting a recording, but I haven’t been able to track it down yet.

Anyone else experience this or maybe have some insight as to a setting to check? Thanks in advance.

Adding an update as I think I’ve found the culprit. The peak only happens when starting a recording with the track monitor enabled; if track monitor is disabled upon hitting record there is no big jump in the performance meter. Track armed and monitor enabled = real-time peak; track armed and monitor disabled = no real-time peak.

This also occurs when starting playback but does not prompt the error message: track monitor enabled & play = real-time peak; track monitor disabled & play = no peak.

Here’s a screen recording of it in action: https://streamable.com/66zpl6

For the time being, the workaround will just be to have the track armed for recording with the track monitor disabled. Once the recording starts, track monitor automatically enables itself so no real harm I suppose.

You can turn off the warning then at least everything keeps on running dispite the overload.
Preferences > VST > at the bottom, turn the warning off.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll disable the warning as well (and just have to be more vigilant about performance).

Some peaks are normal sometimes when the computer is doing something. They don’t interrupt my audio however, but did gave that warning, so .i turned it off.
You can also see that same in the dsp checker software when it’s running in the background.

I haven’t heard of the dsp checker software before. Is this something that’s available on a mac?

DPC Latency checker is the exact name, and only for Windows I saw on their website

Ah, bummer. Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!