1176 Vintage and Tube compressor

This plug MIGHT sound a-la 1176 but the gain staging is totally messed up. You have to turn the input waaaay too much to get anything going.

Fortunately, the attack and release knobs work in the same way as any other compressor in Cubase. I personally appreciate that coherency.

They never said the Vintage Compressor was an exact model of the 1176, why you guys insist on comparing them to the highest detail? this is nonsense.

My first impression of the Vintage comp was far better than expected. It’s very nice and I’ll be using it shortly!

I would rate it roughly in the general range of Waves 1176 plugs (black/blue). I’m not able to really give experienced review but that is just my first impressions.

Good compression with pleasant if not musical way of breakup…

not all “good” (uad,waves etc)1176 are the same either. if u want 1176 buy a real one(expensive as hell). the real one really changes the tone even if u dont compress, just let the signal go trough it.
as for steinys vintage compressor i never seen they saying its a 1176 but the new GUI can look like it, and if push hard the sound collapsed fast, but its useable for some sources with small compression.
here is a link to real 1176 and plugin compression in the end.

Maybe the sound is more important than the look?

Reminds me statement of ugly girls. “Character is more important than beauty” :wink:

A picture (GUI) tells more than thousand words
What are they trying to say?

Sales departments says it all …

So am I the only one that reads “inspired by” in the GUI and don’t expect anything else?

These should be apples and oranges as my belief is that the tube is an optical compressor representation.

You should be comparing the vintage compressor against the UAD 1176.

The Tube compressor should be compared against the UAD LA2A

Hi,

the only thing i can tell about the Steinberg Vintage Compressor is that it sounds really good.
I had very good results using it. Actually i don’t care if it sounds exactly like an 1176.
But it is the same kind of compression type.

Regards,
Paul

+1
{‘-’}

• 0.8 i use it too, where its good and do the job why not using it ?

Cubase 7 channel strip vintage comp; I use it a lot because I work at speed in front of clients. it is basic but sounds fine. I’ve never owned or used a real 1176. but I have owned and used plenty of virtual compressors. as a channel strip comp it is excellent. and now that the knobs scale correctly, usable. of course, the knob graphics are wrong. they look old school against hi-tech mixer background. but that is a different topic! ed

I always thought the Vintage Compressor was a decent sounding compressor before the GUI change.

What about during? :nerd:

:laughing:

Actually so is analogue circuitry … math 1st… physical components next… :ugeek:

Can someone tell me what the difference is in a normal conpressor and a vintage compressor. I thought a vintage comp is a conp with tubes but recently ive found that some compressors already have tubes as part of the comp i.e vari mu and. So what is a vintage compressor and what makes a compressor vintage?

well it’s just names. but the built in cubase “Vintage compressor” supposed to work as far as i know and its look, like a 1176 FET compressor (the original 1176 hardware not based on tubes)
it has its own characteristics,but as always always use your ears and whats suits for your material.