2.0 bug: Typekit fonts (MacOS 10.14)

A bit of font weirdness in DP2 and Mojave: Dorico is not registering Typekit fonts properly, mixing up font weights when non-B/I variants are installed (Semibold, Light, etc). In the case of Garvis Pro (my default text font), removing the Semibold weights resolved it for now, but I really don’t want to have to dumb down my font families. Dorico is the only app in which I’ve seen this behavior. Thanks.

Make sure you file a report with Apple. It may be a problem that Apple, rather than Dorico, needs to resolve. If you need to get work done with the fonts you need, then you really need a second volume with a release OS, so you can overcome problems such as this.

Dorico doesn’t have any support for TypeKit. You need to make sure that your fonts are properly installed in the system. Dorico will only see fonts in the system, /Library and ~/Library font folders (apart from its own fonts, which it loads directly from inside its application bundle), and the fonts have to be correctly installed before Dorico starts up. It doesn’t “see” any notifications about font activations or deactivations that happen while it is running.

We’ve been looking into this and the issue is caused by Apple’s decision to remove sub-pixel anti-aliasing for text in Mojave. You can read about this e.g. here and find information about how to use the Terminal to change the font smoothing settings in Mojave here, but unfortunately I don’t think any of the current font smoothing settings provided by the beta builds of Mojave will restore the appearance of text as it was in High Sierra and earlier.

We are further at the mercy of the Qt application framework on which Dorico relies on both Windows and Mac. Their developers are also aware of the issue but it’s not clear at this point what will be done either on Apple’s side or on the Qt side before Mojave’s release. We will also try to get in touch with Apple to talk to them about this issue.

If you have a Mac with a Retina display, all will be well, but if you have a non-Retina display, you’re going to notice a big difference in how text appears not only in Dorico but in both the OS and many other applications.