2 question about the midi editor

While working in Cubase to improve the playback of a file created in a notation software 2 questions came to mind:

1. Does a tempo track similar to CB exist in the midi editor?

2. Will it be possible to add (hidden) notes in the midi-editor which do not appear in the score/parts?

:slight_smile: thanks

We are aiming to get a tempo track into Play mode. This will let you edit the tempo of each tempo event. eg ‘Lento’ will have a default tempo, but you can override the tempo of each instance. If you add extra tempo changes then these won’t be printed in the score, but they will show as Signposts (I think Daniel has shown an example of these elsewhere).

We aim to have a general MIDI event object that can be inserted on each voice/instrument stream that can be used for inserting arbitrary program changes, notes, etc.

Hi Paul,
thanks a lot … when the midi-event is flexible enough it would be a good answer to the dis-advantage of the Xmaps…

Every item in the Xmap is triggered by a combination of up to 4 text/symbols but triggering 2 xmap events at once needs a huge amount of items being that one has to program those for every possible combination.

A 5th group isolated from the other 4 would do the trick. Or, in Dorico, this Midi-event :wink:

Interesting - that’s not something we had considered. There are two possibilities here: generating the expression maps for the required combinations (eg via scripting) or having the ability to define a ‘layer’ that can be combined with the other entries in the expression map.

Can you give an example of how you use this combination of controllers?

Sure…

Example:

In Cubase I have all VSL-Libraries set up in a similar way. Every instrument (beside the percussion instruments) have a similar structure of matrices where all cells are set up in a similar way.
ie. in every instrument cell 1 / matrix 1 has a staccato sound.

The corresponding Universal Xmap contains 180 entries.

At some points in a track I would need additional switches/controller-switches to reset the round robin, to switch on/off the human playback or to set the slot X-Fader to a defined amount.

These events should be triggered parallel to the given articulation event. An indipendent layer 5 would do the job.

To program an Xmap which covers all needed controllers and articulation would contain 1980 (and more, I am not quite finished setting things up :wink: )entries.
Using a independent 5th layer it would be only 180 + 11.

I think it could be the case that the best way of controlling these extra switches isn’t directly via the expression maps. As I understand it, what you want is the ability to easily send custom predefined MIDI messages which will affect the current sound but not switch to a new sound. We may be able to accommodate this using our raw MIDI stream.

You talk about the 4 layers that you have in your Expression Map. It may be in Dorico that this could map to less than 4. Can you give some examples, or a screenshot that shows some typical combinations?

Daniel already has a PDF that describes the freaky way I am using Xmaps.

Example:

VSL - Cornet

layer 1: staccato
layer 2: slur
layer 3: senza vibrato (text)
layer 4: baroque (text)

Result: stacc, slur and senza vibrato trigger a cell that contains a sustain sound nv with a attack of 14ms and a shortened release of 42. The baroque sets the slot cross-fader to 28 percent of section B which actually contains a softened staccato to make notes a bit more notable.

Humanizing is not involved but controlled by a CC27 lane. I would love to control this with a independent layer 5 :slight_smile: