2 Questions

First, when entering sextuplet 16th notes each sextuplet group is beamed to the next (See image). How can I prevent that from happening and keep each six-note group separate?

Second, I have a one-bar piece of music that I want to copy into Dorico but I am not sure how to enter it. It’s in 19/8 and there are 5 groups of 16th notes and 2 more 4 note groups of 16th notes in the one measure. How would this be entered/handled in Dorico?

Thank you.

1. Shift-M, [1+1+1+1+1+2+2]/8, perhaps? That’s 5 8ths and 2 quarters. But unless I’m misreading you, your math is wrong… that’s only 18.

Five groups of 6 plus two groups of 4 is 30 + 8 = 38 notes, so they fill up the 19/8 bar without any tuplets.

If the original had tuplets, you need to explain how the rhythm is supposed to work before we can tell you how to enter it!

You can create 6:6 tuplets if you want tuplet numbers and/or brackets without changing the rhythm - but it might cause more confusion, not more clarity.

Thank you for your replies, I am going by the tab in this video (see screenshot). It’s confusing to me as to how to notate it in Dorico.

Ah, ok. If you want to display as 19/8, you’ll need to manually set the beaming to group it as you want.

If there are multiple bars this way, you could set the second bar to [6+6+6+6+6+4+4]/16 and hide the time signature. That would beam it as you are wanting.

Thank you for your reply and forgive my ignorance with this as I am a novice with Dorico. How would I go about manually setting the beaming group? How would I set the second bar to [6+6+6+6+6+4+4]/16 and hide the time signature? There are 5 groups of 6 and 2 groups of four 16th notes. Thank you for your time.

You can hide a time signature by selecting it and then activating the ‘Hide time signature’ property in the Properties panel.

Thank you. I finally have it notated properly. Thank you all for your help and Happy New Year!