24 Ports via ADAT and Minimum 16 ports of Analog Needed

Folks and moreso Steinberg,

I had discussion with Steinberg about why direct-monitoring did not work with the Control Room and >than two Cue mixes via my MOTU 2408 MKIII and it was explained why it was not possible—I understood. However, it was pointed out that by using the UR824 it is possible to run multiple CUE mixes while using direct monitoring. This is great, however, it is not expandable beyond one UR824. I actually need 24 ports via ADAT (x3) and at least 16 ports of Analog I/O for Mixing Monitors / Studio Monitors, external effects, and instruments. You cannot use two UR824 to do this. Since I thought I was the only one with this problem I have directed my efforts elsewhere to solve this problem, however, I see others have the same need as myself. This means that with enough need Steinberg might consider fixing this problem–it is a problem for some of us I simply don’t know how many.

Nevertheless, I am suggesting that Steinberg/Yamaha consider the needs of moderate size project/recording studios who need port counts of this magnitude (see above) when they look to future hardware implementations. If two UR824 would have worked for my purposes I was resigned to purchase three, two for active use and one spare–of course. But alas, two with direct monitoring simply doesn’t work.

If I am not being clear and someone from Steinberg wants a better explanation, please feel free to contact me.

Finally, as pointed out by others, the NUAGE system is nice but out of reach for the operators of smaller studios–assuming this is the only way to get multiple Cue mixes and direct monitoring out of Cubase while maintaining the port counts listed above.

All the Best, Ted Sopher

Hello Ted,

I can’t say about future plans for new interfaces providing what you ask for, but I can tell how it is currently possible to configure a UR824 setup. You can use up to three UR824 interfaces, one as the ‘master’ and two as ‘slaves’.
The two ‘slaves’ need to be connected once to the machine (one at a time, as described at page 25 of the manual) in order to be configured and then can be used as stand-alone devices. Both will be set to send the 8 analogue inputs through ADAT OUT A. Slave One ADAT OUT A will go to the Master ADAT IN A, Slave Two will go to ADAT IN B.

In Cubase VST Connections, you can now create 24 mono inputs, which will default to Analogue In 1 through 8, ADAT A 1 through 8 and ADAT B 1 through 8. This will give you 24 input channels.

Kind regards,

And this helps ‘solve’ his situation/concern how exactly…?

(I’m curious myself about this… potential summer purchase coming up…)

I’m not too sure it solves the situation at all, Puma. Especially concerning the need for Cues, which would need a much closer look. I just wanted to point out a use-case and a configuration which might not be straight-forward and is all you can achieve with three units.

It surely cannot work around the fact that 2 ADAT IN/OUT are available on that unit and that you are limited to the amount of channels available on the ‘master’ device, which totals 24 input channels.

Fabio,

Right, I know you can gang them together, however I don’t think you can use direct-monitoring and multiple Cue within the Control Room and this is what I need. What you explained was explained to me by other Steinberg staff, but the lack of clarity where or not it fulfills my need caused me to post the question here.

If someone would discuss this with the Steinberg Developers I would appreciate a definitive answer.

Best, Ted

Fabio,

Oh, in my last post I left out the fact that I definitely need more than 24 channels total, of which at least 24 of them must be ADAT Optical. I did mention this in the original post.

Ted

Hello Ted,

I noticed yesterday my post was cloudy and did not really explain what I meant to. Sorry.

The limitations on the ‘master’ device will remain. You can’t have more than 24 total channels with these devices, 16 ADAT and 8 analogue.

I should have posted the link to the manual, in case you want to check it out - http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/UR824/UR824_documentation/UR824_OperationManual_en.pdf

The UR824 also has 16 mono DAW Outs, which are Software Playback channels. These can be used for the Cues and are freely assignable to any of the Analogue or ADAT Outs on the ‘master’ device, you can access them in the Control Room like any Cue / Monitor. The routing can be changed inside Cubase via the Audio Hardware Setup panel under Devices anytime.

I’m attaching an example with 2 Cues and 2 Monitors.

[Edit: This was also cloudy, revamped a little to put the answer for Ted at the beginning]

So, great - we’re all on the same page now about established limitations with the UR824 device…!

Now back to Ted’s original FEATURE REQUEST, made in his first post. Namely, getting these units functionality/capability further enhanced in a future update (to accommodate the kind of use-case Ted spells out).

I’m interested in hearing about this too and so support the request. I’m assuming, a firmware/software solution is sought to allow cascading between (multiple) units with simultaneous physical use of ADAT and Analog I/O.

So, questions to Fabio (for taking an interest thus far - thank you…!):-

1. Is it worth pursuing…?
  2. Is the product near or at its end of life cycle by now (except for planned maintenance/support)…?
  3. Write to Yamaha for their view…?

I do note, the units as such have an exceptional reputation in the marketplace (sound/reliability/facilities/included FX, etc…).

Hi,

there is no firmware/software update that can allow this. You can’t daisy-chain units with USB, so when using two units as stand-alone you will always be limited to the facilities available on the master device, i.e. 8 analogue ins and outs 2x ADAT ins and outs (plus the phones outs).

I’m not in the position to reply extensively to your questions, but I’m not aware of a discontinuation of this unit.

Ok - thats clearer; thank you Fabio for taking the time… I guess I have my answers for now.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, Fabio, et al,

I expect a mod - I call it a Stacking Port - would require a significant change to the UR824-perhaps making it the UR824X. :slight_smile: However, Yamaha knows how as they have been building DSP based DAW hardware since the DSP Factory days–implying the design effort is likely minimal.
Thus my final question is: How do we officially submit this need to Steinberg/Yamaha-I.e., is this the only avenue?

Best, Ted