3 engraving questions

Hi,
I am continuing using Dorico and liking it each time more. However, I wonder if there are a few tips to solve this engraving issues more quickly. Here are 3 engraving questions (photos attached):

1. Is there an automatic way to move all pizz (or whatever you want) a bit to the left?

2. How do I tell Dorico to put a half note instead of two tied quarter notes?

3. Dorico automatically puts cautionary natural signs, which is interesting. However, this cautionary natural signs don’t appear within brackets. Is there a way they would automatically appear inside brackets (instead of editing it one individually)?
    [Also, please someone reminds me how to add the brackets individually]

Thanks.
Henrique Coe

Hi Henrique!
I don’t know if your 1. can be done. [Edit]: Thanks Fred for the easy solution just below!
For 2, check Notation options>Note grouping, there’s an option for you (notate as single note)

For 3. check your properties panel (the bottom panel) when the note is selected. You can assign this to a keyboard shortcut (I certainly have!).
Capture d’écran 2021-04-12 à 14.43.55

Hope it helps!

1 Like

There are 2 ways that I know of. 1) You can change the default horizontal positioning of all text Playing Techniques:

1. You can modify the X positioning of that PT. Select the PT, hit the Edit pencil, change the type to Glyph, hit the Edit pencil, and change the X value to move it to the left. This will be a global change that will affect every instance where that PT is used.
1 Like

AFAIK there’s no way to automatically bracket them, but Marc’s solution of a shortcut is a good one. You can however have cautionaries automatically parenthesized if that’s a solution that works for you. Just check your Notation Options settings:

For the playing technique alignment, it’s possibly worth knowing that (afaik) text playing techniques are left-aligned but glyph playing techniques are center-aligned. If you make a glyph “pizz.” playing technique that contains the text “pizz.”, that should be center-aligned.

On a side note, your screenshot shows that all your pages have page overrides (denoted by the red triangles in the panel on the right in Engrave mode). If you’re overriding every page, there’s a good chance there’s a better way of achieving that - e.g. by modifying the First master page (which controls the formatting of p1) or the Default master page (which controls the formatting of p2 onwards).

If you want to change the running header from “Flow 1”, enter the flow title in the Project Info dialog - no need to modify every page, the token in the Default master page will resolve to the flow title set in that dialog. If you don’t want to see the “1. Flow 1” title at the top of the first page, hide the flow heading.

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you all, very helpful!
For 1, it does become centralized when I choose glyph.
However, the Y offset seems to not be working. It does go higher on the Edition Playing Techniques option, but on the score it remains in the same place.

You can set the default vertical offset for text / glyph playing techniques in Engrave > Engraving Options > Playing Techniques. (This dialog is where you will find all sorts of similar default settings for all kinds of notations.)

1 Like

For #3, look in Notation Options:

(I see Fred mentioned this earlier.)

About number 1. The “Notate as one note” will work in 4/4, but not in 2/2. Also, the setting is very sensitive to what combination of notes precedes or follows the note in question. If you were to extend that half note by an eighth for example, it would notate differently, even with that setting in place. Since your example is either the Saint-Preux (which takes me back!) or an homage to it, I assume you are in common time, but it is still important to realize that recommended engraving standards won’t always respond to what you personally want for a particular measure, despite their extreme usefulness. When that is the case, you simply have to use “Force duration”

1 Like

There’s also my trick for making 2/2 behave like 4/4 (or at least making it appear that way).

Just wanted to mention Leo’s trick can work for other time signatures too. Last week I needed 4/4 and 6/8 simultaneously with barlines lining up, so I used it for that and hid the tuplet markings.

Florian’s pickup trick works for that, doesn’t it?
E.g. a bar of 6/8,8 followed by a hidden 4/4, for a bunch of “6/8” bars that line up with the 4/4 bars.

(See https://www.scoringnotes.com/tutorials/masking-meters-creating-polymeters-metric-modulations-dorico/)

Yeah, I tried it after you suggested, but kept doing things that would end up breaking the barlines. I’m sure I was just doing something wrong, but your time sig trick which worked flawlessly without much effort at all.

1 Like