30 Years of MIDI

This month marks the 30th anniversary of the ratification of the MIDI spec.

A brief history of MIDI:

• November 1981
    Dave Smith (Sequential Circuits) proposes a “Universal Synthesizer Interface” at the Audio Engineering Society show.
    He had worked on this proposed interface with his colleague, Chet Wood (Sequential Circuits).

• August 1982
    The MIDI 1.0 specification is ratified by the MIDI Manufacturers Association

• January 1983
    Dave Smith demonstrates MIDI at the 1983 Winter NAMM show.

• August 1983
    The MIDI specification is published

(Source: Midi - Wikipedia)

MIDI is one of the greatest innovations to happen in the music industry.
The MIDI file was also something of a predecessor to the MP3.

Another result of this standard was the release of software sequencing programs, including a certain line of sequencers that began with Pro 16 in 1984. :wink:

It’s quite a landmark. The “player piano” for all instruments. Wonder what 30 years will do? Will anyone know how to play any instrument?

As a MIDI guitarist I was always impressed by the fact that
‘MIDI Mono Mode’ was even concieved of back then.

Guitar synthesis was just getting started and so I thank them for their initial work and foresight.
MIDI has allowed me to be all I can be. Live on stage and in the studio.
{‘-’}

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Heey! My favorite protocol of all times!
They did this so freakin’ right from the begining it’s’ not even funny.
The rest of the world should study this and learn how to cooperate and everything else as well.
You can even use it to play music which is more than most protocols can brag about!

Happy anniversary or something! :wink:

I am amazed that we never managed to speed it up.

Regardless, It changed my life for sure. :sunglasses:

… if only it could be converted to audio. :wink:

:laughing: … It can, but first we have to know the color of your dongle.

Sure it can be converted to audio. Doesn’t half sound annoying though. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEPRRDRDRDRDRDRDRDRDRDREDDRDRDRDRDRDRPPPPRRRRRRREEEEEP
It converts to audio but converts to music? Nah!

In 30 years we think it up, and that is not a joke, I think we are one of the last generations prefering a tactile surface.

I think there will still be interest in live performances, but less interest in live players on studio recordings, and as a result less interest in learning how to play. I hope there is still an opportunity to hear live orchestras. I have been to a lot of orchestral concerts in the last couple of years, and the experience cannot yet be captured in recordings. But even if the sound could be captured, there are all the other senses in play.

Maybe a 300" super hi vision display of the orchestra would help> The next generation of HD television - BBC News

56k modem? :laughing:

Although the V.90 modems had a different sound to them than the x2 modems.

I love the sound of FSK’ing in the morning :laughing:

Why live music is so good is because it’s an entertainment medium which recorded music will never be. All records ever were was tasters and souvenirs. Good production could turn into entertainment but the scope of that is very limited. All most recorded music is is elevator muzak.
We all know the good stuff.