32-bit Cubase...better under a 32-bit OS?

Hi all

As a long-time Cubase 5 user on Windows XP, I’m about to buy a new system with Windows 7.

Given that I have many older plug-ins I don’t want to part with, plus the UAD, I will stick with Cubase 32-bit.

I know I can run 32-bit Cubase under Windows 7 64-bit OS, but will things be more stable if I go for Windows 7 32-bit? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks

K

I know I can run 32-bit Cubase under Windows 7 64-bit OS, but will things be more stable if I go for Windows 7 32-bit?

Possibly - but that depends on the plugs you use, and how close to the RAM max you get, which in your case will be 4 GB in either scenario.

Here’s the skinny:

32-bit Cubase under Windows 7 32-bit - max RAM of 4 GB
32-bit Cubase under Windows 7 64-bit - max RAM of 4 GB
64-bit Cubase under Windows 7 64-bit - max RAM of 192 GB (16 GB if you have the home vers)

My advice is to use 64-bit Cubase under Windows 7 64-bit. It is what I use here, and is completely stable. For those older 32-bit plug-ins you don’t want to part with, you can use jBridge. I use that too for a couple of things, and that too works flawlessly.

Cheers.

Thanks man…

I’m going for Cubase 32-bit irrespective of OS, because I also have the UAD. Have heard trying to run a 64-bit DAW with it is asking for trouble…

Main thing I want to know is that Windows 7 64-bit with Cubase 32-bit is a safe choice?

Best

K

Yes it is safe, if you run a 32bit cubase you are stuck with 32 bit plugins but that is not an issue

The reason not to use Win 7 32bit has to do with memory allocation, windows loads all dll’s into the top of memory, this is a old design fault that was never fixed, and it means that even if you have 4gb in you system you will never be able to utilise more than 2.x gb on a good day, on win 7 64bit each 32 bit app can address 4gb, so for modern 32 bit apps Win7 64 is actually a better OS than win7 32b

Memory is cheap these days, get at the least 8gb

Thanks for that. Am going for Win 7 64-bit, will run Cunbase 5 32-bit on it. Am getting 8GB RAM too…should be nice, stable and fast.

K

Keep us posted on how this turns out. I am in the same boat with my Windows XP machine. I use mostly UAD plugins so I have to stay with 32 bit until they upgrade. Don’t know if UAD-2 can do 64bit. My old machine just keeps on rolling. I have 4 UAD-1 cards and a RME Hammerfall 9652 audio card installed so the CPU does little if any work at all. If I have a song that gets up on card use I just freeze the track and I am good to go. I’m in the camp as it ain’t broke so why fix it. UAD is having a special if you buy a mic pre you get a free dual core UAD-2 card for FREE. I am very temped to break into the bank and go for the mic pre, get the free UAD-2 card and buy a new computer. Buy the 64 bit machine and install 32 bit Cubase. Do the 6 upgrade too. Cubase 5 has been totally stable for me. My computer never sees the internet. I don’t even have a printed connected to it. I don’t even think much about the DAW as a computer. It just works.

Gary

Hey Gary…well I did have the set up working very briefly (64-bit Win 7, Cubase 5.5 32-bit) on new laptop…but turns out the laptop had a design problem and so have returned it.

While I was using it, there seemed to be no issue with the UAD-2 plugs…and I’ve also not ready of any problems AS LONG AS YOUR HOST (e.g. Cubase) IS 32-BIT…so basically go 64-bit on the OS and Cubase 32-bit, you should be fine

K

Even if you ran 32bit OS and 32bit CB, you can achieve 4GB ram allocation per plugin w/Jbridge. That will also enable you to use 64bit plugs on that whole 32bit system.

No … 64 bit plugins or other code will never work on a 32 bit system, JBridge is for using difficult 32 bit plugins with a 64 bit sequencer, I have not experiences any problems running 32 bit plugins on a 32 bit host in a 64 bit system, as for seeing 4 gb on a 32 bit system only some server versions of Windows support that

Jbridge also works in reverse. It allows you to use 64 bit plugs in CB 32. That would give you that 4G/plug allotment.

Yes, jBridge can bridge a 64 bit plug-in to a 32 bit host, but you can’t run 64 bit anything on a 32 bit OS.
J.L.

Ok, that’s the part I wasn’t sure about. I thought maybe Jbridge rendered the 64 bit plug to 32 bit before it got to the 32 bit OS. Thanks for enlightening! :slight_smile:

JBridge doesnt work for everything. Ive been in this same boat… used XP Pro 32 for years, made the change up to 64 bit win7 ultimate, bought a huge system 24gb ram i7 thing… you DONT get any more performance ASIO wise. as for compatability, yeah, i lost a few plugins, heard about JBridge, didnt really solve anything,

so i now run two versions of cubase 6.5, as i rely on lots of 32-bit plugins for my job. if i need it, i have 64-bit, but cubase 6.5 32-bit runs all my plugins that i cant let go, superbly. for everything else, i have the 64-bit version.

dont believe the hype, only you and your system can know whats right for you. I know major studios still using XP SP2 running Nuendo/Cubase SX3!. try telling them to get the latest upgrade…

hope you get things sorted, sorry for the rant! (been a mad morning, 32-bit/64-bit issues now solved )

Here is a little experience on the 32/64 bit issue. I have learned “the hard way” and it has cost me a lot of money and frustration. Now everything is just fine.

I have a computer fully capable of running 64 bit. I have memory enough to have heavy plugs work just fine. But… I run Cubase 5.5.(and also Logic Pro) in 32 bit. I threw out my very costly Win 7 64 bit PC and bought a MAC. I use that MAC in connection with an older XP PC where I run Cubase 4.

The reason is:
Most software are much more stable under MAC 64 bit than under PC 64 bit.
It is easier to install under MAC than PC. (Try installing MOTU Orchestra on a 64 bit Win 7 PC and on a MAC for starters).

I do not run into the same “out of memory” problems on the MAC than I would under a PC. MAC addresses memory in another way than PC. MAC also has it limits, but it is capable of slightly more heavy projects.

Cubase (and Logic) are more stable under 32 bit.

I have many plugins that work in 32 bit only.

I use VEPro. VEPro is a plug with the capability to host other plugs and use 64 bit in this hosting in a 32 bit DAW. This plug uses the extra memory installed. Note that not all plugs will run in VEPro but most new will and it is the newer plugs that are most memory hungry. Like PLAY, Omnisphere, Kontakt…

For all my plugs that do not run on MAC or on a new OS I use the old PC. I have the computers connected through LAN and soundcard to soundcard. Through VEPro (installed on both computers) i can access most plugs on my PC as if they were installed on my MAC through LAN. Or, I can just sync Cubase 5 on the MAC with Cubase 4 on the PC and load whatever PC software there that won´t run on my MAC. It will play as if I had the plug on my MAC (soundcard to soundcard/VST Link).

Here is a little experience on the 32/64 bit issue. I have learned “the hard way” and it has cost me a lot of money and frustration. Now everything is just fine.

I have a computer fully capable of running 64 bit. I have memory enough to have heavy plugs work just fine. But… I run Cubase 5.5.(and also Logic Pro) in 32 bit. I threw out my very costly Win 7 64 bit PC and bought a MAC. I use that MAC in connection with an older XP PC where I run Cubase 4.

The reason is:
Most software are much more stable under OS MAC 64 bit than under OS PC 64 bit.
It is easier to install under MAC than PC. (Try installing MOTU Orchestra on a 64 bit Win 7 PC and on a MAC for starters).

I do not run into the same “out of memory” problems on the MAC than I would under a PC. MAC addresses memory in another way than PC. MAC also has it limits, but it is capable of slightly more heavy projects.

Cubase (and Logic) are more stable under 32 bit.

I have many plugins that work in 32 bit only.

I use VEPro. VEPro is a plug with the capability to host other plugs and use 64 bit in this hosting in a 32 bit DAW. This plug uses the extra memory installed. Note that not all plugs will run in VEPro but most new will and it is the newer plugs that are most memory hungry. Like PLAY, Omnisphere, Kontakt…

For all my plugs that do not run on MAC or on a new OS I use the old PC. I have the computers connected through LAN and soundcard to soundcard. Through VEPro (installed on both computers) i can access most plugs on my PC as if they were installed on my MAC through LAN. Or, I can just sync Cubase 5 on the MAC with Cubase 4 on the PC and load whatever PC software there that won´t run on my MAC. It will play as if I had the plug on my MAC (soundcard to soundcard/VST Link).

Not true at all.

Not true - depends on the installer and the app - not the OS. Installing on a PC is actually really easy.

Not true at all. Mac OSX may address memory differently than Windows, but you certainly con not say it is better.

Both have limits, but to say OSX is more capable of handling heavy projects than WIndows is just flat out false. Again, it depends on the app, and how it is coded.

Cheers.

I’m 58 years old. Have been working with computers since I was 25. Think I know a little bit about them.

The MAC OS and hardware environment is more closed and unique than the Windows world. Thus easier to make a software that will install easily on “all” MAC machines than PCs. Thought “everybody” knew and acknowledged that.

I have tried out Cubase 5 on different configurations, including different Win 7 64 bit environments. It IS far more stable on the MACs if projects are “pushed” with many instruments/plugs. It is even more stable than the XP environment I used to run on my PCs. (And I hold XP to be better than Win7, stability wise). Look at the Steinberg forum and see problem reports and the kind of computers people encounter different problems on. You can even go to the Logic Pro forum and see what kind of problems people in the Logic world experiences on a MAC. It is a different world than Cubase on PC and close to Cubase on MAC.

I have approx 200 different plugs currently running. They ALL run stable on my MAC. (that said I use approx 30% of them frequently). I had severe installation problems in the Win 7 environment on approx 20% of them. Not to talk about stability.

Since MAC adresses memory differently, and utilizes more than Windows is capable of. (Win only sees slightly more than 3 gig of a 4 gig installation), you can allocate more memory for a project (same and comparable plugs/instruments) than on a PC. Projects/plugs that gave “out of memory” warnings on the PC runs without the msg on the MAC. That is just the way it is. Sorry. That said, I find the PCs better on other tasks, but when it comes to run Cubase…

Not to take sides but I have had several Mac users claim that since Mac has entered the Intel environment, the only difference between Mac and PC is the OS. Either way, I just can’t justify paying 2x the amount for what “could” be better stability in a Mac. Maybe my projects aren’t as RAM dependent but I have no stability problems with my PC, on Vista 64 to boot. (no pun intended)
I think from what I’ve seen in these forums that it doesn’t always come down to Mac or PC but different hardware and software combinations making compatibility unique. I’ve seen same versions of CB on same OSs have different results.

Much true here, especially in the last thing you wrote (different hardware), and that is in fact the core of the problem. The hardware variety in the PC world is exponential compared to the MAC.

Well there ya go! It’s plainly obvious that you are right and I am wrong!