4 bars (2/2) above 2 bars (2/4)

Is it possible to divide 1 bar of 2/4 under (or above) 2 bars of 2/2, just to show my students the difference between 2/2 en 2/4 :slight_smile:

I can create 2 different time signatures, but can’t spread 1 measure of 2/4 over 2 bars of 2/2.

see attachment

Geert
Schermafbeelding 2019-01-14 om 14.27.24.png

Create the 2/4 time signature with a pickup bar of 4 beats. (Type 2/4,4 in the popover, press Alt-Enter to create the time signature on one staff only).

Then create a 4:8 tuplet to “double” the note values.
meter demo.png

It is possible to have double time signatures: Add whichever time signature you want first, then click on the other stave and alt+shift+enter the other time signature which creates an independent time signature for that particular stave. (To clarify, click on the second stave, engage the meter popover and alt+shift+enter rather than simply hit enter.)

Regarding having 1 bar of 2/4 and 2 bars of 2/2 that doesn’t make mathematical sense, even in cut time notation.

Hi,
Is it possible to have a 4/4 for a few instruments on top of a 12/8 for other ones and make the bar lines coincide (the 12/8 only a cleaner version of triplets, as it often happens)?

Yes. For your 12/8 staff, set the first meter to 12/8,8. Then set your second measure to 4/4 and hide the time signature. Finally, enter the notes as 3:2 triplets and hide both the number and bracket via the Properties Panel.

Here’s the same type of thing, just with 9/8 and 3/4. Dropbox - Jesus bleibet meine Freude.dorico - Simplify your life

I understand how the second 9/8 bar worked. But how did you make the first one work - the real 9/8? How about the rests that would be there? Even if I erase them the space is there.

The number after the comma in 12/8,8 signifies an 8 eighth-note (quaver) pickup measure, which contains the same number of eighths as a 4/4 measure.

Presumably Dan’s example uses 9/8,6 which would give a six eighth-note pickup measure to coincide with the 3/4 measures. You would still need to use invisible tuplets to fill out the measure.
mixedTimeSigs.png

Yep, Derrek is right.

Dan, thanks for the video; it saves me the quandary of whether I could post a two-measure still from your very handsome arrangement to ask what G_Bernstein meant about the rests.

Feel free to use and alter it however you wish!

Nice that we can notate that Bach chorale in Dorico. I remember doing this in Finale and there I was able to set the spacing value for 16ths and for triplet 8ths to the same value so that they would align vertically (as Bach notated it and as it should be performed). Doing this in Dorico might require a lot of tweaking. I should experiment with this sometime.

It’s not bad! Engrave mode—Note Spacing. Then select the square handle, and the circular handle will appear… nudge that one.

I do wish we had the ability to expose multiple circular handles at once to select them. At the moment, it’s two extra steps:

1. Click on the first square handle
  2. Click on the circular handle
  3. Ctrl-click on the next rectangular handle
  4. Ctrl-click on the circular handle below that
  5. Ctrl-click AGAIN to deselect the rectangular handle.

Etc… but then you adjust all the 16ths in one shot.

You can get the rhythms to align in Dorico using nested tuplets. Create one set, then copy it and repitch the notes.

The attachment should be fairly self explanatory.

:astonished:

Hey, you just discovered a real-world use for all that stuff about fractions you had to endure in high school math classes :slight_smile:

Brilliant!

Thank you guys, I’ll try it.