4 «contrebasse» ?

I questioning myself about those 4 «contre basse» name without any detail in the right hand column ?
Any comments?
Thanks
Capture d'écran 2018-09-11 10.39.09.png

In English there are four variants of double bass (string bass, double bass, contrabass, upright bass), which our French translator has decided to translate as “contrebasse” in all cases. Unfortunately it’s awkward for us to remove these duplicates from the user interface.

One (rare) instance in wich french uses less words than english!

Gee, I just noticed that instrument’s names only show in english , but categories are in french!
What did I miss?!? Like the opposite of Alain…
I use Dorico 2.1 in French version.

Marc Larcher made this clear on Facebook and where to change it. Engraving options > instrument language.

Daniel,

There is one «contrebasse» in the list appear in score named: «contrebasse Solo en Ré» !
At least that one must be described into the right hand column !
Don’t you think ?

Thanks

«contrebasse Solo en Ré» is probably Viennese tuning F-A-d-f#-a as it was used in the 18th century for solo music.

Thanks, that’s what I missed :slight_smile:

There is also Bottesini’s 19th-century 3- or 4-string solo tuning in (F#)-B-E-A, sounding a whole tone higher than written, e.g. here. In some of Bottesini’s pieces the tuning is even (G)-C-F-Bb.

I can’t find the solo bass in D mentioned by Alain LeBlond among Dorico’s double basses, neither in my standard anglophone setup nor when I open Dorico in French (not that I urgently need one right now, just curious… :slight_smile: ) Any of the four available basses turns out to be a Contrebasse like any other.

Not presuming to tell the Dorico team how they should design their product… but it seems odd that Double Bass, Contrabass etc. etc. should be treated by the UI as separate instruments (with odd results as described above in translated versions). Would there be a way of treating them as a single instrument with a default name assigned to it in each language, and in languages which use more than one name for the instrument let the user choose among them?

To me, in this precise case, I’d prefer to have one instance of “contrebasse” and then english version for the remaining occurences.

That sounds sensible.