4 Questions ... basic

EFFECTS
I am using the on board VST’s (Cubase 6) and with a couple of the VST’s they have an effects tab within the VST. On the track menu there is also effects available. (I believe it’s the insert slot.) Are the effects at both locations basically the same and is there an advantage to using one set or the other?

LAYERS
I am using the Halion Sonic SE and not the full version. I noticed in the full version you can add layers within the VST but the SE (I don’t think) allows for that. I can duplicate a track and layer it that way but just wondering if there is a quicker more efficient way to layer sounds.

DRUM EDITOR
Is there anyway to adjust the dynamic levels of a kick drum track all at the same time or do you have to do each one individually. (I hope I phrased that right. The red bars at the bottom of the editor.)

METRONOME
Can you set the metronome to any other setting besides quarter notes, such as 1/8, 1/16, or triplets?

Once again, whatever info that is provided is appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Hi,
EFFECTS
There are 2 way, how to use audio effects in the CUbase. You can select the audio region, and choose the ffects from the Audio > Plug-Ins menu. This is destructive using effect. The effect is immediately computed, and applied. If you are using plug-ins from the Inspector > Inserts, you can change all parameters anytime. And these effects are applied to all regions in the track. Or, you can use pre-fader effects too, this way. Inserts 7 & 8 are pre-fader.

LAYERS
You can open tha HALion Sonic SE plug-in, opne the Editor view (button “e”). Than you can in sert different sound to the 2nd layer, 3th, 4th… 16th layers. Than, you can switch to the MIDI tab and set Channel to the 1, for all instruments. You have 16th layered sound, which is controlled from MIDI channel 1.

DRUM EdITOR
You can select all Kck together (Select 1st one, and than use Edit > Select > Equal Pitch – Same Octave menu). Than, you can set the value together from the Info Line, or from the Velocity line (space for the MIDI controllers).

METRONOME
Metronome is based on Signature tracks. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to set dotted notes, or Tuplest, or any other. I know just the Digital Performer, which can do this.

Best,

Effects: If a VST instrument has effects embedded in its own User interface, that means they are part of that instrument. Their functionality may be close to the effect plugins you find in the insert slots, but they are not the same. There aren’t really advantages of using one over the other, just go with what you think sounds good and works well. Only for things like reverb, you might want to use a plugin inserted on an FX track, so you can send multiple audio streams to the same reverb, to create a common sense of space.

In the Drum and key editor, you can simply select the notes you want to adjust, and you’ll find that the velocity (that’s the term you were looking for) also gets selected. If you look at the selection, you’ll see that it has 3 handles. One in the top left corner, one in the top right corner and one in the middle. Grab the one in the middle and move it up and down to affect all the selected note velocities, while keeping velocity differences between the notes intact.

Hey … thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

David