432 Hz. Again.

Oh no, not this old chestnut’’ again :slight_smile:

Ah yes, a gift to the truly talentless, explaining neatly why their music sounds so bad …

I thought it was the other way round, explaining that tuning to 432 made no difference at all!

The article you refer to debunks it nicely, yes – it’s the 432-conspiracy I was referring to; if only they’d tuned the kick drum, that 4/4 120bpm beat would be so much more interesting and musical.

Didn’t we just talk about this article 2 weeks ago in this thread: 432 HZ - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

Anyway … I like to tune everything to E5=666Hz. It makes my music sound evil … at least whenever I play in E-minor … the most haunted of all keys.

Well yes - that’s why I put the word “Again” in the title. I didn’t realise it was so recent though, I remember one from last year which talked about all the spiritual stuff. No - spiritual crap :slight_smile:

It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad. What would happen to one of those folks if he tried to tune a piano to equal temperament? Would his brain break?

It’s actually the way death metal tunes are counted in … in the same way as you don’t speak the “4” in 1-2-3-4 just before a take, for enhanced demonic effect you count in 4-3-2-1, the “1” being silent.

I’m guessing that 432 is typically a placebo effect, just like playing a song in a different key can stimulate. I have played where bands have tuned to 440 and a musician or singer was somewhere around 432. We called it flat or tone deaf and it sure didn’t enhance the music. I suppose if 432 was the current pop norm there would be someone suggesting that 424 was better for our health based on the exhaust tuning of a 72 Olds Cutlass multiplied by the square root of of the tire size. I admire that an orchestra will tune to the period even though I doubt I would recognize it without a deliberate reference (anyone in the audiance have a tuning fork handy?) and bad music annoys me regardless of how tuned.