4K video are cropped in Nuendo's video player

Hi there,

I can’t figure out how to setup Nuendo 10 video player to playback 4K video. At every size that I try to playback 4K video (quarter size, half size, ecc) it shows up cropped. No way to see the whole frame.

I’ve checked the video supported formats and this video fits all the requirements. MP4, H264, 3840 × 2160.

Someone knows how to fix this without converting the whole film from 4K to 1080?

PS: I’m on a MBP late 2013 with Sierra as OS. I’m running the 60 day trial version of Nuendo 10.

I think you’ll have to convert it to 1080. Unless if you’re using a separate video card like BlackMagic Design’s Mini Monitor that can playback 4k, I think conversion has to be done.

Computer becomes faster and faster and its more and more common to receive 4K video from clients. Cam recorders are now able to record 6K video. Of course we can always down-convert a video, but its boring since often we can receive more version of the same film or documentary. At the same time I dislike to ask my clients to send me down-converted videos because I’m using a software that is not able to play 4K videos.

I hear ya. You might wanna try buying something like a BlackMagic Design Mini Monitor to playback 4k videos? Nuendo is able to play videos from BlackMagic.

Hi SoundAvenue,

Same problem here running the 60 day trial version of Nuendo 11. And I’m using a Blackmagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor 4K.

1 Like

Same problem here, over three years later. 6K video, only seeing the upper left corner. Will transcode to a smaller format, but shouldn’t have to do this!

IMO there are only disadvantages to having a 6k or even 4k video in your Nuendo session. I generally convert everything to 720p ProRes or DNxHD. Uncompressed lower resolution video files will use less system resources which is important if you have gigantic sessions.

That being said, I agree it SHOULD allow you import at least 4k, even if it isn’t the best option for what we do.

1 Like

I agree that there are DAW with better video support.
But I see it a bit like Taylor : When working with audio, a resolution of 1080p is actually sufficient in 99% of cases. Even on large screens or canvases. But of course it would be great if Nuendo gave you the option to use higher resolution video files.
Everyone can then decide for themselves whether they want to use this possibility or not.

Please dont get me wrong, but this is a big mistake on your side.you have all the rights in the universe to request a format that suits your workflow.and this is how it is done in the industry.if video editor refuse to do that, that should say a lot about that person/company.
Of course steinberg should fix this issue.but here is an example:
I still request 720p videos for few reasons.

1. Videos i get dont have colour correction, vfx, etc.
  2. Faster to download ( internet not fast where i live)
    3.for sync, i dont need 1080p or higher.
    Again, this is what suits my workflow.
    as a backup, you realy need to have a software that transcodes videos. That is just the way it is.
    Best of luck !

Hey folks has this been fixed yet? Title of this thread was N10 - but I’m still getting videos being zoomed so I can’t see BITC in N12…

Cheers,
Ian