5/4 Beaming - Note Grouping

Sorry…

Dorico looks like this:

How can I get it to look like this?

Preferably as default behavior, but if not then by explicit override.

Thanks.

Try creating the meter using [1+1+1+1+1]/4 in the Shift+M popover. (By default, as you can see, Dorico treats 5/4 as 3+2/4, which is analogous with how it handles 5/8.)

Or you could select the option to separate beams over rests in the Notation options.

I’m not the original poster, but for me [1+1+1+1+1]/4 doesn’t work. It does create a 5/4 time signature, but the groupings are wrong. Other groupings, such as [1+1+1+2]/4 work as expected. Could this be a bug?

What grouping did you want?

You would also need to set the “Eighth note (quavers) in quarter note (crotchet) denominator time signatures” option on the Beam Grouping page of Notation Options to “Break beams at beat boundaries”.

Hi Daniel,

I’m prepping something (awkwardly) in 15/16 and would like it to appear as 4+4+4+3/16 for beaming, but 15/16 for clarity in the signature… is there a way to do this? Dorico defaults to grouping 15/16 in 3s, which rather throws the 4/4-1/16 feel I’m trying to communicate!
Thanks!
Peter

In the meter popover you need to type [4+4+4+3]/16

Hi petergregson.

Why don’t you follow Daniel’s advice, and write [4+4+4+3]/16 in the meter popover ? I just checked, and it works perfectly…
It’s the second bar in my picture

Edit : sorry Pianoleo, we answered at the same time

EDITED:
pianoleo,
I wouldn’t correct someone’s spelling, but I thought you’d want to update a syntax slip so someone would not get confused. Thanks for doing that.

Thanks Derrek - corrected!

I am having the same problem in 5/4. Entering [1+1+1+1+1]/4 also doesn’t correct the quaver grouping. Beam Groupings set to break beams at beat boundaries. Screenshot of the bar I’m talking about.

So I’ve discovered that Dorico won’t accept meters typed with the number pad. [1+1+1+1+1]/4 entered on the NumPad is not recognised, but typed on the numbers strip above the letters, it does. Using the number strip has fixed the problem in the screenshot. But it has now undone my previously correct full bar ties. (See attached screenshot: minim/dotted minim is correct, but in [1+1+1+1+1]/4 it has now changed to the semibreve crotchet combo)

So a further question: in 5/4 or 7/4, I should be able to get a default behaviour of grouping crotchets [2+3]/4, so that minims and dotted minims are grouped correctly in the bar. But simultaneously to split quaver beams at every crotchet beat, so that I don’t get anything like the result in the screenshot below. How do I do that?

I can enter time signatures with numpad numerals without problem.

I don’t think you can get a default beaming as you want. The best compromise is probably to stick with standard 5/4 and force duration of the dotted note.

It’s the beaming of the two eight notes that the problem, since it looks very confusing. I’ll have to split the beams manually, quite laborious.

@Dorico people — perhaps this could be fixed in a future update? The beaming I’m after should work according to the notation settings (beams split by quarter note), but it doesn’t.

I mis read. Use [4+1]/4

[4+1] doesn’t preserve the 2+3 full-bar tie groupings that required.
I tried other combinations (also [2+1+1+1]/4), but none of them produce the right groupings throughout.
In the end I left the whole flow in {2+3]/4 and inserted [1+1+1+1+1]/4 locally in the places that required, and the hid them. A silly way to have to fix it, but the only way I could find.

It’s a bug, basically — the notation options are not properly implemented in this situation.

The simplest solution is to use force duration and make unbeamed, rather than mess with hidden time signatures.

Then when you need that pattern elsewhere, just alt-click copy it and use lock duration to repitch.

(Personally I find Dorico’s default for that passage unambiguous and easy to read)

oh yes, thanks for the tip — I forgot about that option in the Edit Notations menu.

The default is definitely wrong, readable or not. Dorico is not doing what the settings are telling it to do. In this case it’s particularly important because the beaming should reflect word stress as well as beat pattern.