64-bit eLicenser Control Center

With Apple’s recent announcement that 32-bit apps will soon be deprecated, I checked the 64-bit status of my installed apps. I was surprised to see eLicenser Control Center listed as 32-bit. According to Apple, High Sierra will the last macOS version to support 32-bit apps “without compromise.” Does Steinberg have plans to transition eLicenser Control Center to a 64-bit architecture before (some yet-to-be-disclosed) compromise gets in the way of getting our work done?

Yes; the ever-active team at Steinberg is aware of and working on this.

From what other developers are saying, nothing immediate will fail; and I’d lay money on the strongest possibility that we’ll all be ‘safe’ long before we really need to be.

Yes, we’re currently updating all relevant eLicenser Control components from 32-bit to 64-bit.

As soon as everything’s ready and tested, we’ll release an updated version (hopefully sometime during May 2018).

Until then, please just ignore the warning message, as the current version of the eLicenser Control software is perfectly compatible with the current version of macOS.

No, not perfectly compatible.
The 32-bit eLicenser is the prime cause of the startup freezing issue of Steinberg Dorico on macOS Mojave.

ShikiSuen, Dirk wrote this in April 2018. I suspect macOS Mojave wasn’t out at that time yet.

To specify: macOS 10.14 (Mojave) was announced at the WWDC 2018, on June 4, 2018, and was released to the public on September 24, 2018.

Shiki Suen, you’re completely mistaken that the fact that the eLicenser is 32-bit has anything at all to do with the intermittent hang on start-up that some users experience on macOS 10.14.

And the real answer is confidential, right? Looks like my ticket sent recently asking for a 64bit-build of eLicenser Control Center (released in mid-2018 but withdrawn due to some issues) won’t work. :smiley:

Update: If I am mistaken, then could you please explain why this issue is gone from my MacBook Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14.2) after downgrading my eLicenser Control Center to 6.11.2.4228 (64-bit build)?

I suspect that the issue is not completely gone. The best way to be sure is to quit and restart Dorico repeatedly. If you can quit and restart Dorico more than (say) 20 times consecutively without encountering the problem, then I might start to agree that there could be some correlation. But we understand the nature of the problem that results in the hang, and it has nothing to do with the architecture of the processes involved.

Then you people may want to investigate the differences between the build 6.11.2.4228 and the current build, focusing on those differences other than the architecture differences.

P.S.: I frequently tested it under the 64bit-only mode of macOS Mojave, and Dorico runs without problem. However, I still think I need to test it for one more week. Deliberately repeat the test consecutively may miscatch something. I will leave some new feedbacks here in early Feburary.

P.P.S.: I am gonna test the latest 64-bit build instead: eLicenser Control Version 6.11.5.1244 but the test starts on several days later. Reason: My MacBook Pro is being serviced at an Apple Genius Bar (keyboard assembly replacement), and my Hackintosh cannot run macOS Mojave at this moment due to the lack of required NVidia Web Driver.

Maybe you’ll finally fix the buttons that bleed off the Active new license form…

According to random tests in recent days, the most-recent x64-build eLc suite (6.11.5.1244) doesn’t trigger the freezing isuse anymore.