8.1 is out

Sweet!!!

Initial tests are very positive. Loaded an AAF that all seemed to transfer great. Lots of great fixes that seem to work so far including RX6

no sluggish behavior on my end, however i’m on a pretty recent i7 windows machine with a crazy graphic card. Best of luck everyone with this version

Define “slow to use”? Is the app slow, the handling, the UI? I can’t tell any differences between 7.x and 8.1, except for the audio performance that is still slightly worse with the new version.

@MattiasNYC: Yeah, this is an impressive list. The longest list ever if I remember it correctly, and almost the half is dedicated to DOP. Which indicates that DOP was released too soon. Playing around with DOP now for about an hour, it seems to be completely stable. Phew!

Slow means the UI/UX is sluggish. I’m having to wait for the program to catch up to me instead of working at the speed I’m used to. You may not notice it on relatively small sessions but on larger sessions the difference in performance between Nuendo 7 and 8.x is drastic. 8.1 does not seem to solve the issue here.

Just stacked a normalize with a reverse and it worked as expected.

Yeah, I tested it quickly on a project that I just finished. And just as vocalign, it can’t do miracles.
But very useful tool none the less.
If used as I used to use vocalign (first I cut adr:ed lines manually to “chunks” that are pretty close to final already) it can do pretty well.

DOP is OK now! And the other features are promising, haven’t test them yet.

But Video Thumbnails on the Video Tracks are gone!

Import video, creating thumbnails, then nothing, very red characters “missing thumbnails”. Gone!

I can finally work in Nuendo 8. Used it all day and DOP and Auto align worked like a champ. I hope they won’t release such buggy software in the future though.

First impressions on 8.1 on Mac OS 10.12.6, working on a film at the moment so haven’t really tested with a bunch of different material but…

Auto-align is very nice, big up for this one.

Video seems to be running sluggish, definitely not as smooth as in N7. Need to test other videos and fresh new N8.1 sessions though.

It seems DOP now works with Rx Connect, just takes getting used to the slightly different approach from N7. Might be slightly slower due to it involving mouse points and clicks but I suppose it’s not that big of a deal when taking into account the other advantages of DOP. I do get the occasional crash when opening the DOP window with a clip that has previously been processed.

However, DOP Auto-Apply doesn’t seem to be working for me with Rx Connect. I would think that it would automagically apply the Rx process as soon as Nuendo receives the audio back from Rx which would be great. Am I wrong to think that is how it’s supposed to work? Is it working correctly for anyone?

All in all, imo definitely a step forward. Unfortunately, being in the middle of a film, the video problem (which could be something with my system) means I still have to finish this off in N7.

Could you briefly explain how it works now in this new version?

Well, I would probably expect it to not work. It seems to me that in order to apply any process Nuendo would read from somewhere what settings to apply. So if there’s a cache for settings that’s one thing, but RX transfers newly created audio, not parameters. So I would think there would be clear problems getting that to work.

This is how I am doing it, with Auto-Apply off:

N8.1 Rx Process

1. Select Clip
  2. Hit former Rx Connect Key command (now it’s the DOP key command, F13 in my case)
  3. Point and Click on the Rx Connect favorite button that I added (this automagically sends and opens clip in Rx which is great because it kind of is equivalent to hitting the enter key in N7).
  4. Work on Rx
  5. Hit Send back to Nuendo key command (same F13 but on Rx), which automagically switches to Nuendo which is great)
  6. Point and Click on apply. (Need to have auto-apply OFF because otherwise this button does not show up)
  • If auto-apply worked as soon as the clip was received by Nuendo I suppose it would be awesome because it would save time using the mouse.

I am aware that using the mouse instead of the keyboard might not mean a huge time difference but, say on a dialogue editing session if you have to Rx tens or hundreds of clips… it might add up to something noticeable.

You have a good point there. I’m not sure how feasible this is or if it is Steinberg’s or iZotope’s territory but perhaps Rx Connect could check the Auto-Apply status when the clip is sent back to Nuendo and if it is ON tell Nuendo to ‘Apply’ as soon as the new audio is on the clipboard. If it is OFF then just hold the audio in the clipboard.

So step #2 above isn’t necessary if we leave the DOP window open, is that correct? If it is I think the amount of clicking / typing is the same as in Pro Tools. I typically leave my RXConnect window open when editing dialog, and whenever I need to I mouse over and click “send”. So I will have selected the clip as above, and then moved to step #3. The rest is the same.

Btw, I found that depending on the system I’m working on moving my RXConnect audiosuite window down into a corner so that the “Send” button is the one where the mouse can’t travel any further speeds up my workflow ever so slightly. I just “throw” the trackball down/left and it’ll stop where it needs to and I can click. It’s somewhat faster than having to navigate and pay attention to hitting that little “send” button… I save some sweet fractions of a second that way :wink:

Actually, in Pro Tools v9 (I think) I can’t re-apply something either. So if for some reason the order in which I do things get messed up, or I perform an undo or whatever it was, I can’t click on the “render” or “commit” button (I forgot what it’s called) in RXconnect and re-render the RX processed audio, I actually have to navigate back to RX and hit “send to host” again. So I’m thinking this might be something that needs to happen in the RX connect plugin.

Indeed

Really good tip here, thanks!

This happens too, in Nuendo 7 ‘undo’ used to work to go back to the original clip. Now since DOP works different, ‘undo’ seems to replace the clip with an empty one (I assume it replaces with the contents of the clipboard which is empty once it has been rendered once). I have yet to test with Rx if it stores different versions, as with the other processes i.e. need to check if DOP stores all versions like doing a first Rx pass then later on going back and deciding it needs further work, DOP stores the new but can ‘delete’ each process individually.

Hi,

Anyone getting corrupted projects?

I’m getting a dialog box saying that the project cannot be saved because it’s corrupted. I’m rolling back to v.8.0 because of this. Lost all morning trying to figure it out but it appears to be random.

Very annoying and frustrating.

8.1 so far seems OK. For me on the Mac, scrolling and zooming is a bit faster. All other performance issues and sluggishness still applies.
DOP seemst to work well with regular plugins and built-in processes.

I think DOP and RX are confusing. It would make much more sense to right-click on a clip and select “Send to External Editor” or something and you could configure RX to be that editor to edit only that selected clip.

Right now, DOP is very confusing with and without Auto-Apply on and doesn’t work intuitively with RX in my opinion. You don’t know what happens when and if stuff has been sent back and applied unless you hit play and see.

You can only follow ONE path. That is:

• click on clip
  • open DOP
  • disable auto-apply
  • add RX Connect
  • hit Apply to send it to RX
  • work in RX
  • hit Send Back to send it back to Nuendo
  • hit Apply to move it over to your arrange window.

That’s it! And this works. But when you make the mistake of disabling the RX Connect plugin to listen to the original, oh boy… it reverts back to the original. When you enable it again, it wants to process the audio through the plugin and opens RX again, wanting you to make the work again. You just lost your work you did in RX. So after you work in RX and apply your changes, you better REMOVE the RX Connect plugin, otherwise it’s constantly opening RX and sending stuff over, especially with auto-apply on. It’s quite annoying and that’s why I said RX Connect is not suited for DOP. It’s totaly different usage and usability mechanism clashing.

It would be much better to put in a menu when you right click on a clip and just select “Send to RX” / “Send to External Editor”.

BTW: I enabled “make a new version” before I sent a clip to RX. How can I get that version back? Where are those versions saved?

I remember one release where Mute was left and Solo was right in the Project Window but Solo was left and Mute was right in the Mixer. So, yeah, that’s not good planning, is it?

Pretty sure that never actually happened.

Just encountered another bug related to DOP with RX. I use an internal plugin, not RX connect.

So I select a clip, then open DOP.
I add RX 6 Spectral Denoise to the clip with auto-apply disabled(!).
I select adaptive mode, listen to the result in preview mode, I like it, and click apply.
Nuendo unchecks the “Adaptive Mode” checkbox and applies the result. It seems as if Nuendo re-initializes the plugin to its default settings.
I then have to enable Adaptive Mode again and again hit apply and wait. Then it works.

So it’s not yet bug-free.

Another bug found - graphical issue with Oxford Dynamic EQ plug-in. In previous version RTA worked normal, in N 8.1 RTA analyzer is not displayed! :unamused:

No issues with that here. Works as expected.

I can definetely say that I finally need a new computer.
This won‘t happen while I‘m in the middle of the 15 episodes productions I am working on now. I will finish them in Nu7 on the old Mac, but this one is too slow for N8.1.
Still it‘s good to see that Steinberg seems to be back on track with this release.