8.5 to 10.5 and Audio drop is impossible

Hi
Paid a small fortune (as an occasional user) to upgrade from what was a working 8.5 system to what is now and unusable 10.5 system.
Spent 2 days trying to configure and cannot get rid of massive audio drop out on playback
Recording is worse.
Its A Simple set up.
Win10, 64Bit, plenty CPU and Memory, Cubase 10.5 Pro, UR44 (all drivers updated and checked)
Ports all working and configured but playback is stop start every 2 or 3 seconds. Even a single MIDI Bass drum track.
Especially if the mouse is moved. Meaning mixing is impossible.
I’ve tried 32bit and 62bit set up. Using Steinberg driver. Tried low buffer and high buffers.
I upgraded cos I was reassured that the Audio drop out from W10 thread limit/change, was not an issue for 10.5

I’ve read many of the ‘audio drop out’ articles and tried various.
No background tasks running.
The PC has nothing running now that wasn’t there before. Nothing in background. I’ve even disabled the SB Audigy Soundcard.
Any ideas ? Links, pointers to articles I may have missed.
I@m not convinced this is even a cubase issue … maybe core W10 ?

Hi,

Try to test your system by LatencyMon utility, please-

Hi
So with NO SOUND , fresh reboot and pretty much doing NOTHING … No Cubase loaded etc.
Latency Mon tells me I have a problem - well that much we knew. …

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2019.20
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2.485535

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2016.60
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.735627

ISR’s
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 7.467039
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.000455
Driver with highest ISR total time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

DPC’s
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1475.011183
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.020661
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Any suggestions on the next move ?
This is a desktop - There is NO Wi-fi internet connect capability. Ethernet only. No Bluetooth.
I am using a wireless mouse (but always have for years - same one I used for years with Cubase 8.5 and all was Dandy.

UPDATE…

WITHOUT NETWORK CABLE & Anitvirus etc all OFF

Tells me the system is good for Audio … BUT DROP OUTS ARE ALMOST CONTINUAL ONCE CUBASE IS RUNNING>
Other Audio - FLAC and WAV files play OK.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 84.30
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2.654631

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 82.20
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.824787

Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 246.144791
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.001463
Driver with highest ISR total time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

========================================
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 97.845792
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.066017
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

WITH NETWORK CABLE AND ANTI_VIRUS RUNNING

Tells me the system is good for Audio …

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 160.0
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2.551078

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 157.80
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.753887

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 10.621542
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.001182
Driver with highest ISR total time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 248.092113
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.059160
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

AS ABOVE BUT WHEN START CUBASE

BOOM - noot good for Audio

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4339.0
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2.666461

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4336.0
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.836388

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 7.276045

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.001408

DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 380.201001
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.061003

IDEAS ANYONE ?
CUbase is currently unusable. For playback and worse for recording.

UPDATE
Although LatencyMon isnt showing any issues with ASmedia driver USBXHCI.sys , It seems that if I disable “ASMedia USB3.1 eXstensible Host Controller” it makes a big difference. I still get drop outs but its a massive improvement and I can actually record clips. A track will play through with just a few blips.
How can i find out which USB port ASMedia driver effects. Aside from physically testing each via a device.
Motherboard = ASUS® X99-E: ATX, Broadwell-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
USBs = 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS plus 2 front USB’s

or is this a complete red herring ?

I upgraded from a bomber 8.0 system to 10.2.20 a month or so ago, and am still dealing with the last few remaining issues (video being the biggest right now, which for a Film Composer is a bit of a problem…). Audio definitely seems to require significantly more horsepower in C10 vs C8. I’ve had to offload as many instruments as possible via VEP to other PCs to give the Cubase machine as much grunt as possible to handle the audio in addition to the DAW itself, which seems to work okay. Weirdly I did find the initial install was awful with any audio in the project and after weeks of preference tweaking almost gave up (don’t know what I was thinking doing this mid project). I then reinstalled from scratch, updated the Nvidia and audio drivers everywhere and it worked much better. No real explanation why though I’m afraid.

Might be worth reinstalling and getting your drivers updated.

Hi,

As NVIDIA owner, please try this to optimise your system for DAW:

• Uninstall the NVIDIA driver.
  • Download the latest Studio driver version from here.
  • Start the installation (as administrator).
  • Don’t install the whole package, use the Custom (Advanced) settins.
  • Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.

All. I thought I’d close this one off.
A few weeks ago i gave up and thought “what if I downgraded from my desktop to an old dell laptop”
So here I am. Still running Exact same Windows Release.
And hey presto. All latency issues gone.
Laptop running superbly with 36 tracks of music playing in one project. Remote keyboard Novation 61 controller And a small also midimix Connected. And internet connection and anti-virus also active and live.
Every solution to the above problems pointed to memory or cpu or Usb ports And drivers But mainly W10 As being the culprit. Yet on a machine with slower cpu and less RAM And exact same W10 All Is working fine.
Moral - don’t trash your old laptops.
It’s a pain to have to find space for it on the desk and not as smooth to connect the external monitors, etc.
But I’m up and running.
Thanks to all who tried to help. Much Appreciated.

For anyone interested… moved to a DELL XPS13 (9370). Massive latency issues returned… and I have seen many others complaining about Dell XPS on this same issue. But once I connected my UR44 USB direct to the Laptpop (via USB-C converter) and not via the “Thunderbolt hub” all my latency issues were gone.