8va and 15ma with cross-staff notation

Any idea how i can get the 15ma line to affect the LH notes shown as selected in the image below?
15ma.png
If I try to apply the octave line to the selected notes nothing happens. The notes have been entered in the RH and the first three notes moved to the LH to retain the joined beaming. I tried the opposite approach (inputting them all in the LH stave, shifting the final three to the RH), but I encounter the same issue.

This is on my list of things to work out how to do, too.

Use the caret to select the correct stave, invoke the clef popover, type 15ma, enter, and then space to extend.

Just like entering a hairpin with the caret, basically.

Great tip, Pianoleo!

I’ve used it plenty in this situation :slight_smile:

Hi Pianoleo.

I just tried your method, but couldn’t get it to work. At least, I think I tried it… here’s a video, am I missing something?

I’ll take a look in a couple of hours - can’t be behind Dorico just now!

You missed:

What was perhaps ambiguous is that the 15ma won’t appear at all until you hit Space at least once.

Aha! Thank you!

Hmmm. Same problem occuring. This time I entered all the notes in the LH stave, moved the latter three of each group to the RH, added a 15ma to the LA, but now I can’t use the technicque outline above to add at 15ma line to the RH part. I’m not doing very well with embedding animated gifs, apologies! :
15ma(LH).gif
The reason I am trying to do it this way is becuase of what happens when I add a hairpin to the figure after it has all be entered in the RH stave (and with the marvelous 15ma line in both parts!):
hairpin.gif

Of course, this being Dorico, I just found a practical workaround for the issue with the hairpin. But I’m still interested to know if anyone has a solution to the 15ma issue in my last post

Don’t drag the dynamics, Mark, just use the ‘Placement’ property to put it below the staff.

For the octave line, it’s a bit fiddly, but you need to input it on the right-hand staff. Double-click earlier in the RH staff, before the cross-staff notes, and then move the caret to the right place with the arrow keys. Then do Shift+C, type 15ma (or whatever) and Space to advance, and you should get the result you want.

I’d like to have the upper voice 15ma, so that the piano player doesn’t have to read 20 help-lines.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-12 um 13.43.34.png
I played in 2 seperate voices !!
Here is what happens if I input 15ma for the upper voice:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-12 um 13.43.48.png
Dorico also puts the lower voice into 15ma and writes it 2 octaves lower.
That’s really bad !!!
What now? How can I write what I have without the piano-player having to read 20 help-lines for the upper octave ???

ok…here is a solution:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-12 um 13.49.45.png
But I still think, if there are 2 seperated voices, one should be able to use different 8va, 15ma, etc lines…

Write the music on one staff and use the stem directions to show the hands.

Easier to read, and bypasses the problem. The bar before your 15ma is next to impossible to read at sight, as written, because you can’t see at a glance how the LH note pitches relate to the RH.

As you wrote it, it’s much harder to read than it is to play, which means there ought to be a better way to notate it (and there is!)

Nothing new here, of course - what I’m suggesting is how 17th and 18th century composers wrote this sort of keyboard part.

It’s all very well searching for an old thread, but you have to read and then follow the instructions. It’s perfectly possible to do exactly what you do, and I already explained it over a year ago.

Set the caret to the correct voice. Type 15ma. Hit Alt+Enter. Extend using Space if necessary.

Jazzisfaction, here’s another way to notate it that looks more orthodox to me. Five ledger lines is OK. If Dorico drops the last tied lower note in the right hand down an octave, can’t you work around it by moving the note to where you want it and then use a slur instead of a tie if necessary?
Example.png
I see I crossed another post immediately above that explains how you can do it in Dorico.

I know my mistake: I thought I created a second voice, but actually it was a first voice with another stem-direction.
Stupid stupid stupid…beat me !

According to your screenshots you created another voice. You have to make sure the caret is in the correct voice, of course - that might have been your mistake, or not typing Alt+Enter to close the popover.

I owe you an apology Peer - I didn’t explain how to apply an octave line to one voice. It’s exactly the same as how you apply a dynamic to one voice, though, or a time signature or key signature to one stave. Get the caret in the right place, in the right voice, type the shortcut for the relevant popover, type the correct instruction and then type Alt+Enter.