[9.5.10] Crashing NVIDIA OpenGL Driver bug - Any updates?

Any updates on the NVIDIA crash bug being fixed? https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115001841510-Windows-Cubase-9-5-does-not-start-or-crashes

I don’t get the crash on startup, but I do get constant crashing while working on any video project. Sometimes I’ll get 15 minutes without a crash, sometimes it’s within 30 seconds. It’s seemingly random on every project, but it does only happen when playback is happening. It won’t crash just sitting by itself idly.

Cubase hasn’t created any dumps as I do NOT have a single crashdump file in the Steinberg dump folder, BUT Windows Event viewer shows the errors:

• System
  • Provider
    [ Name] NVIDIA OpenGL Driver
  • EventID 1
    [ Qualifiers] 49152
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
  • EventData
    Unable to recover from a kernel exception. The application must close. Error code: 3 (subcode 7) (pid=9240 tid=11388 cubase9.5.exe 64bit) Visit NVIDIA Customer Support for more information.

Faulting application name: Cubase9.5.exe, version: 9.5.10.79, time stamp: 0x5a1cbf46
Faulting module name: nvoglv64.DLL, version: 23.21.13.8792, time stamp: 0x59d766c7
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000010480f9
Faulting process id: 0x2418
Faulting application start time: 0x01d386731e9fe063
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5\Cubase9.5.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\nvoglv64.DLL

I’ve even tried rolling back my video card drivers to a version 4 months older than the latest, and it’s STILL crashing non-stop.

My rig is:
Mobo - MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
CPU - Ryzen 1700x
RAM - 32GB Vengeance LPX 3000mhz
GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB

I’m literally having to delay project deadlines because of this. :blush:

In addition, this happens in projects without a single plugin. The project I’m trying to finish right now is merely flat, edited audio tracks with an H.264 .mov video track (but this also happens on projects without a video track). :open_mouth:

Another update!:

Closing the Mix Console stops the crashes [EDIT: slows the crashes, see next post]. I usually run the Mix Console on a secondary monitor and the Video Player on a third monitor at all times and only thought to close the Mix Console now. I mean I definitely need the Mix Console to simultaneously playback and mix my projects, but I can at least keep the video player open and go crazy editing audio sound design for this project the meantime… :confused:

Could it be an issue with multi-monitor rendering?

I’d love to help you guys with data if possible because it’s consistent crashing. Reproducible through the sheer act of running and using Cubase in my above configuration. If there’s some way you guys can help me set up some sort of software monitoring and then I let it crash for you, I would love to! :nerd:

Probably last update for now:

Closing the Mix Console window did not stop the crashing. It just happens less often now.

Still the same OpenGL type of crash, still no crashdump files generated.

We are in email contact now and a bug report has been created.

Hi there,

Did you ever get this resolved? I’ve got the EXACT same issue but with Ableton Live 10! Driving me nuts!