9 X 12 size paper in print layout

Pianoleo, I can get a preview that looks similar to that on Windows, if I choose the Printer option (not Graphics), set the paper size bigger than the Dorico page size, and the scale factor to 100% (not “Fit to paper”) - e.g print an A4 score on A3 paper at actual size.

Somehow I don’t think we are going to get to the bottom of without seeing the actual project.

Sure, but does the actual PDF look like the preview?

Here’s the project file…
Pepband score copy.dorico.zip (1.74 MB)

For some reason you have the right panel of Print (Graphics) mode set to export Portrait. Set it to Landscape and try again.

Interesting… based on Rob’s post, I selected the smallest page size from the list of defaults in the Printer option>Page setup popup (smaller than my desired page size). I then exported the part from the Graphics tab - and it came out at exactly 7 x 5.25", which is larger than the page size selected, and exactly what I need.

Could this possibly be a bug where the export function resizes properly to a larger than selected page size, but somehow doesn’t resize correctly to a smaller than selected page size…? I’d be curious if anyone else could reproduce this.

Also - I did try both portrait and landscape and it made no difference in the export page size.

BTW - thanks so much for the help and posts - this forum is terrific!

Well, the point was that if I preview in Graphics mode I get what everybody wants to see, but if I preview in Print mode I get something like BakkumD’s preview.

I tried creating a new project from the Lead Sheet template and set the page size to 7 x 5 landscape in Setup Options.

I left the paper size in Print mode at A4.

The previews were on A4 size “paper” for both print and graphics output, but the PDF from graphics output had the correct size pages.

So something doesn’t seem quite right, but maybe the result depends on exactly what sequence of operations you do, and/or on Windows and Mac.

Anyway, you now have a workround to get what you want!

I opened up the project, and just like you get the same PREVIEW image, however as others have pointed out, that is misleading… it doesn’t have anything to do with the actual export of the PDF. As expected, when I exported the PDF renders perfectly with the dimensions you want. I concede that the preview (in the graphic export pane at least) can be confusing. But at least on my old Mac it is exporting perfectly fine.

Thanks for trying the project. Could I have you try one more thing?

See if the graphic export works if the page setup in the “print” tab is set to a page size larger than my layout size of 7x5.25". And BTW - I’m referring to the parts - say “clarinet II” or whatever. Not the score.

On my end - the graphic export works as you have reported only if the page setup paper size is set to 5x7 or the postcard size. If I set it to any size larger than my layout size, the graphic export ends up as the page setup size with my layout centered in the page.

Some have commented that this page setup popup (right side) doesn’t make a difference… unfortunately, on my machine, it appears to make all the difference. Again - works as you say only if the page setup size is smaller than my layout size…

I am using the latest version on an iMac Pro with Mac OS 10.14.6. Same thing happens on my MBP 10.14.6.
I have restarted and re-installed the app during all of this as well.

Thanks again!

What do you expect to happen if you print a 5x7" layout on an 8.5X11" piece of paper?
(That is not a rhetorical question.) Do you expect automatic 2-up printing?

Derrek - not doing any printing… trying to export as a PDF - 7"x5.25" - march size music. For importing into a page layout app (InDesign), eventually a vertical 2-up layout with additional items added.

FWIW - both Finale and Sibelius have been able to do this for years… I’m most likely doing something in the wrong order - but I’ve tried a couple of different projects and getting exactly the same results - which differs from other users.

Also - Dorico doesn’t use the regular print process (in my opinion) - which then doesn’t allow for any customization that might come with commercial printer driver software (which I use) - i.e. custom page sizes created from within the printer driver software. I’m also curious as to why the “page setup” and “printer” buttons even exist (lower left corner of Print Mode), given that everyone says not to use them EVER.

Just adjusting to a different work flow on my end - and for now, not getting the same results as other posters… that said - even with this little issue, all of the other advantages of Dorico are easily outweighing returning to either of those other apps.

I’m sorry you are having difficulties with the software. Attaching (PDF) page size to the layout makes sense to me, given that a full score and a part layout will often use different page sizes. Not sure why exporting/printing is causing problems, but I’m using Windows, and I think you are using Mac.

Doug, I really don’t understand what’s going on here. If you click the ‘Export’ button in the bottom right-hand corner of the window in Print mode, you will get a PDF that uses the page size defined in Layout Options. It sounds like you must be using the OS print dialog from the bottom left-hand corner of the window, and I would advise you against that. Use Dorico’s built-in PDF export rather than the operating system’s PDF export via the system print dialog.

Daniel - after additional troubleshooting, I have determined that when the page orientation in the printer or graphics tabs (right side) are set the same as the part layout orientation (in this case: Landscape), it exports a PDF that matches the Layout measurements exactly (the desired result). If the page orientation in the printer or graphics tab (right side) is not set the same as the part layout orientation, I get a PDF that’s 10.5" x 7" in landscape, with my part centered at 100%.

So - I just need to make sure that in the printer/graphics tabs (right side), the page orientation matches the layout orientation for the part I am exporting. Then it exports as expected. I tried this on a number of other projects and had the same result. 100% reproducible.

I’m leaving it at that - all parts exported at the desired size. Time for the next project - and thanks to everyone that contributed. This is a really supportive forum!

I will certainly take a look at that. I don’t think we should be using the orientation when exporting graphics if you’ve got the job type set to ‘Normal’.