96/24 recording on iPad

Will there be support for 96/24 audio recording in Cubasis for iPad?

Hi randym, it has always been supported. Go to Setup > Project to adjust sample rate and bit depth.

Hi

with the limitation of 44.1 kHz of Interapp Audio you can switch to the desired resolution… be aware that you might run into space and performance issues fast.

Thanks!
RG

You may find that your audio interface may not be compatible with that sample resolution and bit depth, even if it can do it with other software.

I use a Focusrite 18i20 and although it will operate at 24/96 with Cubase etc. it will only go up to the lower sample rates at 24 bit when in Cubases. I have a feeling that the Focusrite won’t do 96Khz on other iOS apps, and is not necessarily a fault of Cubasis.

One thing to consider. While certain people swear by 24/96, most producers and engineers don’t hear or feel the difference. While this is most certainly a subjective personal opinion and very contentious, I’ve never noticed the difference using 96KHz.

The bigger help to mixing and probably the most noticeable, is using the higher bit depth of 24, especially when mixing completely internally in the the digital domain. The extra bit depth/resolution will allow for greater dynamics, not just in processing, but at the summing up bus (the stereo output) and individual tracking where you get a lot more dynamic range. Many people track lay at 24 bit so they can capture a wide dynamic range for the source and then apply dynamic processing, as necessary, to individual tracks in the mix.

Even in Cubase I personally use 44.1KHz, but at 24/32FP bit. It may just be my ears, but I can’t hear any difference between 44.1/88.2/96 It may also be worth working in the same sample frequency as your master output, or at a a push, a direct multiple like 44.1 and 88.2 When rounding down to common end user delivery formats, it’s a bit easier to simply truncate the bit depth and already be at the target sample frequency. Although modern dithering techniques etc. can be great, it’s probably best avoiding where possible.

Another consideration is that of processing power. When at high sample frequencies and bit depths, when multi tracking and mixing in a DAW. The higher rates use more processing power, and will quickly chew into CPU resources on complex productions. While modern PCs and Macs can handle this really well, it’s not something that a mobile device, such as an iPad, is really optimised for.

Cheers,
Dave.