A BFD3 thread?

This was just what happen to me with Chocolate Audio Kit. No amount of scanning and mucking around would get it to properly register.
I really do think that the whole idea of installing and registering needs to be rethought. However, I think that this might be a real task for the new owners. and might require more work to overhaul a rather archaic system than they can realistically deal with!
Have you now got access to all your content?

Knock-on-wood, yes. But I’m not all that confident it will be there next week.

One thing I’m suspicious of, and this is more of a gut feel rather than evidence based. But I wonder if all the libraries were actually there all along but that the Filter wasn’t properly managing the new content. The only thing I did between “can’t see them” & “oh they are there now” was use the filters to see all the Snares, and then all the Kicks. When I removed the filter for the Kicks all the Libraries became visible.

I will mention it on the beta forum tomorrow.

There isn’t an ‘unknown’ folder. BFD just doesn’t recognize the kit as belonging to an Expansion set. Click on Unknown so you have all the kits in the left panel. Highlight the kit you’re interested in. Then at the very bottom left corner, click the Info icon (‘i’ in a circle)

This brings up the info panel and along the bottom and it lists the file location.

Is that what you were looking for?

Ahh, now I see what @silhouette was referring to. As far as I can recall and based on what my screenshots show, I never had any kits or drums that didn’t belong to a known library.

Some of the third party expansions, made during the BFD1 or BFD2 days, just don’t get recognized as expansions/libraries. The kits and drums are there, just some of the header info gets lost in translation.
The intrepid and tech savvy can fix this with the Metadata Editor:
Metadata Editor Github

Update: Sorry, I forgot this only works with BFD3 files. Still it can be handy for giving alias’ and other descriptors and custom naming to your BFD3 libraries.

Thanks for the useful info. Actually it doesn’t bother me as all the Chocolate Audio kits and data is accessible and very useable. They are very well recorded kits. I am surprised as all their other kits are recognised and included in the listings. Although it has to be said this was the only kit I bought direct from them.

1 Like

good point

Oh man… I’m running Cubase 8 Pro and BFD3. It worked fine (not great, but fine) before the InMusic migration. Now with the new version, I’m having issues exporting where cymbal and snare tails are cutting out. In the past, I could put BFD3 in “Offline Mode” and Render In Place to have a stereo file for mixdown. Exporting individual drum tracks always worked fine… now it appears that none of it works consistently.

There’s another BFD3 update available, and I’m actually scared to do it. Does anyone know if it addresses any issues specific to Cubase? Does anyone have any tips to address what I’m experiencing right now?

I could be wrong but the latest BFD3 update was released to partially fix the DRM disaster, not performance issues. I rolled back to the FXPansion version and plan to stay on that until the inMusic version is fixed (or finishes dying…).

The FXP activation servers were still online as of last week when I rolled back.

I find this a bit strange pintomusic, as although I had some initial issues with the first updates from the inMusic version, the latest version is working well for me. All my content is visible and available. BFD 3.4.3.7 is working fine for me both offline and online. I can’t say that I have noticed any issues with cymbal or snare tails cutting off.

Do you notice this on the standalone or does this only happen in the DAW?

Have you tried adjusting The Stream Buffer?

I have just checked with the Standalone and the tails decay as they should.

just to chime in and understand what’s goin on with BFD3
i was installing new laptop DAW from scratch 2 weeks ago , and i finally downloaded and activated BFD3 that i got in sale for 75$ about 2-3 years ago.
BFD now owned by other company apparently named" InMusic" , and i did the license and registration transfer , it was working ok and i even got one library to choose for free(got the Metal snares pack).
after few days it says cant connecting to the server or something and that i dont have license for the Metal snares pack. i didn’t used my Laptop for few days since then. hope it solved(don’t have the time to deal with it right now), as there are nice sounds and options in BFD3, and its more flexible Then Groove Agent 5 in some aspects. especially choose drum elements and build what ever kit you want from the libraries you got, unlike GA5 where you cant mix and build Acoustic kits from different acoustic Agent libraries which is a shame

I also am having the “cymbal tails disappearing” bug that seems to be related to offline processing. I am using the Inmusic version since the FXpansion version causes Nuendo 12 to hang on exit.

I am just about done with this thing… I am seriously looking at Superior Drummer 3. I don’t really want to drop another $400 for drums but I think I might if it will solve these issues. BFD3 just seems to be having tons of trouble lately.

1 Like

Which was the was the last version you used. The latest version is 3.4.4.31

I have had no issues with BFD3 using the recent versions.

I also have SD3. I don’t think I prefer either. BFD is a little rawer and SD3 very polished. I have to say that I like EZ Drummer 3.

When you wipe that trash BFD3 off your system you will instantly feel better.

Worst drum VST on the planet

Which drum VIs do you like? SD3 is currently what I’m eyeing, should I be looking at any others?

I can’t remember the minor version I was using, it was a 3.4.4 version, 29 I think. I have updated it to 3.4.4.31 but haven’t re-tested that with fast bounce since I didn’t notice anything about it in the release notes. I’ll give it a try sometime soon.

SD3, SSD5 and AD2. ALL are better. I have ZERO issues with any of those three.

A lot of it depends upon what kind of music you are doing. I don’t like what I have heard if SSD or AD2, but then most of the examples I have heard have been metal. The thing with SD3 and I have been using it for a while is that there are a lot of presets that get you roughly to where you want to go and a little tweaking gets you there. BFD3 is raw and you have toconfigure the plugin chains on each kit peice to get a more produced sound. There is more of a learning curve. I mix BFD in the DAW with my own plugins. The sound is comparable to Superior Drummer 3 but a bit drier.

I don’t think BFD3 is trash and I certainly have not had any issues with it recently. For me the snares are generally tighter and the bass drums have less bottom end and can sit in a mix very well.

1 Like

BFD 3 i can’t get a closed hat sound.
I have my pedal Hats ,Closed Hats and open Hats all assigned to the correct General midi outs from Cubases Midi mapper.

I have general midi set for BFD 3’s midi ins.
When i record a drum part,the hats sound like open hats.

BFD 3 ,you need to be an Einstein’s Einstein to work it all out though.

At least it plays sounds unlike Groove Agent.

SD2 is fine.

i might have to finally get SD3.

BFD 3 is just way too complicated for fast and normal use.

It’s a shame because I love BFD 3’s sounds.

It’s interface has a million things on it though.

I don’t think I will buy BFD 4 if it is going to be even more complicated and have midi map issues.

The first thing that comes to mind is check and see if you have checked “All hihats variable” or something like that in the Keymap page, for the high hat settings.

If that is the case, you need to use CC4 to determine the position of the hi-hat. Closed tips and shanks work fine if they have been assigned correctly.

(which is the second thing that comes to mind, check and see if multiple articulations have been assigned to the same key)