a bit misunderstandable german translation minor/moll sixth

The trannslation of minor and major sixth as moll (minor) and Dur (major) seems to me a bit misleading since minor and major refer primarily on the size of an interval, while “Dur” and “Moll” refer on the harmonic tonality.

This could be imho a bit misleading, since for instance the major (large/große) third of a major (Dur) chord or scale is in its inversion a “minor” (small/kleine) sixth meanwhile the major (Dur) chord remains in his first inversion still a major chord and is not at all hamonicly “minor” (moll) even when his “major” (large/große) third becomes a “minor” (small/kleine) sixth.

Maybe it would be at least for the german translation better to use the terms “groß” (major) and “klein” (minor) as we are more familiar to apply them especially on the sixth interval meanwhile it seem to me still for both sixth and third the correct translation for “major”(groß) and “minor” (klein) intervals.

Just an Idea…

Can you tell me exactly where in the program these sub-optimal translations appear, so that I can pass on your feedback to our German translator? Are you referring to the Chord Symbols page of Engraving Options, the Transpose dialog, somewhere else entirely? Thanks.

In the write mode in the write menu when one wants to transpose or ad a note of a certain interval the “interval” menu of the transpose/ad note-popup translates groß und klein for the third and the sixth as major and minor. Which is not wrong for the third but at least for the sixth in german seems groß und klein used only (which is nevertheless also correct und used for the thirds in german).

I want to support this.
in the Transpose dialog it should be:
“Klein” instead of “Moll”
“Groß” instead of “Dur”
“Rein” instead of “Perfekt”
an the accidentals in the Interval calculator aren’t translated at all at the Moment.

Heiko

Yes.

Minor third/sixth = kleine Terz/Sexte

Major third/sixth = große Terz/Sexte

David

Thanks for the feedback, which I will pass on to our localisation team forthwith.