A critical announcement about NPR files larger than 2GB getting corrupted

Dear Cubase and Nuendo users,

We have spotted a special border case within the latest releases of Cubase / Nuendo where projects became corrupted without the user knowing. This border case arises when the project file size exceeds the 2GB threshold. This is because the original specifications of the project file format were not conceived for project files larger than 2GB. This seems to happen more often with projects relying on VST plugins saving raw WAV data or large XML data within the project, as well as the ARA plug-ins of SpectraLayers and Wavelab. We recommend you closely monitor the size of your project when you are dealing with similar use cases and to have reliable back-up strategies when approaching the 2GB landmark.

We deeply regret this limitation has not been addressed until now and we are working on unlocking this limitation in an upcoming update.

We will also make sure the upcoming version of Cubase /Nuendo will prevent projects from being saved in this case.

If your project reaches the 2GB landmark, our Support department has listed all known workarounds for you. This should hopefully unlock the situation until the new version of Cubase / Nuendo is available.

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/16605644390546-Cubase-Nuendo-Invalid-project-after-saving.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

The Sequencer Team

7 Likes

I assume that this also affects earlier versions of Nuendo. Will there also be a hotfix for users of v12 who don’t want to or can’t upgrade to 13?

2 Likes

Yes, this issue is intrinsic to the original NPR format, so it goes back to many decades ago. Just that we’re dealing with projects getting bigger and bigger those days more frequently than in the past.

I do not hold information on this for now I’m afraid.

Cheers,
Armand

2 Likes

Thanks for answering, @Armand . I think it’s safe to say that there are many of us professionals asking you to forward this request to The Powers That Be at Steinberg. We’d all be happy if we weren’t forced to upgrade just to fix a bug as fundamental as that.

Thanks a lot in advance!

3 Likes

to be clear are you referring to the CSH file combined with the NPR file? when you are talking about project size?

Hi,

We are referring to the size of the NPR / CPR file. Sorry about the confusion.

Cheers,
Armand

1 Like

I was talking about this in another thread. I know it’s difficult to fix bugs in earlier versions. But in the case of a really abnormal bug, or an oversight (it’s human), I think SB should think about it, at least for one or two earlier versions. The example of this limitation is excellent, but there are others. I don’t want to mention them here, for fear of being told that the absolute purity of this thread must be preserved.

2 Likes

Very interesting. Even with projects with 1,500 GB (1.5 TB) of audio data and lots of editing, I’m always under 100 MB. This should only affect very few people.

I had the same reaction, as I’m nowhere near those quantities, but it seems possible.

Yep largest i’ve seen so far for me is about 400-500mb

It’s a bit like Y2K… -:). For the youngest, let’s explain that databases used to work with 2 digits, so 99 for 1999. So, in 2000, it was 00. Problem. It’s hard to imagine where things will end up, at what peak, at what age, at what weight… New York is said to be dropping a few millimetres in weight every year. Who would have thought it in the last century? No one would have.

I saw strange things about the .npr filesize that might accumulate to problems.

Just extracting Vocals with spectral Layers1 ARA of a 69MB wavefile results in a 419MB .npr file.
Just tried it now.

Just using Youlean loudnes Meter in “continuous mode” lets the .npr file grow and grow (even if Nuendo is stopped), because the measurement seem to be written in there. Had a quite empty session at 350MB.

I am on Nuendo12.

3 Likes