A/D Converters

Can anyone recommend an A/D converter for use with my Cubase 5 software program, keeping in mind this is a home project studio and not a high end commercial recording operation. I have been looking at the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Pro 56. Does anyone have any thoughts on using Focusrite converters or any other recommendations in the Saffire price range.
Thank you,
Marty

That one looks nice. Do you need that many channels? For Firewire you may want to find out if your FIrewire card in the machine has a Ricoh or Texas Instruments chipset. I don’t know from personal experience, but if yours is not TI chipset, others may advise to go USB instead (of course, PCI card interfaces exist too). I use the M-Audio Fast Track Pro with a laptop and it works well. I think most of the name brands work fine though. Have a good look at what features you want such as monitoring, phantom power (for condenser mics), bit rate/depth, # inputs and outputs. If you have pedal effects you may want something with send/return or extra inputs outputs so you can set up external effects. I do wish I could set up an external effects loop with my Fast Track Pro but can’t. If you list out some of your needs and desires, I am sure some people will offer good advice.
HTH
J.L.

I have the Saffire Pro 40 and love it. Running onboard TI firewire from a Gigabyte board. No problems at all so far.

How to Make a Thinking Cap :unamused: :mrgreen: :smiling_imp: :mrgreen: :unamused:

lolz :sunglasses:

Same dog different leg action Ive been using motu 24io pci XP to my desk must go to W7 (???) new pc but with pcie so do I buy a new card or do I go for some thing better different need min 24 io