A few Nuendo 6 queries...

Fredo,

1. Will Nuendo 6 allow sections of audio to be treated like objects, ala Samplitude Pro X, which can then have their own independent effects treatment?

2. As the HP Z820 has been specified as an ideal working companion for Nuendo 6, can you inform me if Steinberg have ascertained whether, and in terms of signal integrity, performance, reliability, up-time, DIMMs (UDIMM), registered DIMMS (RDIMM) or Load-Reduced DIMMS 1333 MHz (LRDIMM), would be better to use on this system? I have been informed, all be it by non audio tech heads, that LRDIMMs are the way to go in terms of performance/scalability.

3. Is GPU acceleration supported in any way under Nuendo 6, ala Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 5110p Support for Intel® Processors?

4. Does Nuendo 6 support DXD (384KHz) sampling rates?

Many thanks in advance,

Bump!

I don’t recall ever hearing about Nuendo supporting DSD or DXD.

Not Fredo, but Nuendo has always supported 384KHz…beats me why anybody would want to bother though.

But not DSD/DXD though, right? That’s a completely different beast.

Not DSD/DXD edit modes. But DXD uses 384khz sample rate, so in theory…

P

Yes.

“in theory”? I think it’s VERY different type of processing. PCM is very different from DSD/DXD. I read up on this a long time ago when Pyramix was fairly new and if I remember correctly the effects processing was what sucked in DSD systems, and was part of the reason DXD came along. But still a long way from PCM.

So in a sense the thing about DSD/DXD was that it sounded great but if you wanted to do heavy processing then PCM at high sample rates was the way to go.

DXD is a PCM signal with 24-bit resolution (8 bits more than the 16 bits used for Red Book CD) sampled at 352.8 kHz – eight times 44.1 kHz, the sampling frequency of Red Book CD.

Taken from here.

I was a beta tester for Pyramix when the introduced DXD there. And the whole point of it was that it is PCM.

Best,
Pål

According to Merging’s docit’s a “PCM_-like_ signal”.

Since DXD is > a PCM-like signal, > editing can be made using conventional lossless digital processing, just operating at 8 times FS. The signal can be converted to DSD for authoring the SACD. > DXD can also be converted to the standard PCM rates > using sample-rate conversion still maintaining that the final mastering format will set the quality standard for the music production.

My point was simply that the PCM we use in Cubendo won’t be the same as in DXD. In other words; just because the sample rate and bit depth can be supported by Cubendo doesn’t mean that it’ll play back DXD.

But perhaps I’m wrong…

If it is multi-bit, then does this not defeat the whole point of why DSD was rammed down out throats in the first place? DXD sounds like a poor fix to a bad product to me…and HIgh Resolution PCM still sounds better.

The supposedly high SR equivalents are also snake oil to a great extent, as all you will ever get in DSD (at least, once it is encoded to DSDIFF and stuck on an SACD) above 23kHz is noise - and a lot of it.
It has been proved in blind tests by John Watkinson that regular CD done properly sounds better than SACD ever did.

Best recording / playback I’ve ever heard was SACD. So I guess SACD still sounds better.

I’m pretty sure you get signal and not only noise above 23kHz. So the only relevant question is at what point (Hz) there is too much and in what situations one encounters that. If we want to be practical about the whole thing then we need to ask ourselves if it matters if our speakers won’t reproduce that part of the spectrum to begin with… and then there’s filtering on the D/A to consider as well… oh, and then there’s the endless argument over whether or not we can even perceive what’s above our upper limit of hearing…

Where?

A musthave feature. Should bring a Great step ahead to nuendo to another level. +1
Samplitude has great features like this one that nuendo should have incorporated like “comparsionic system”, “revolver tracks” (a kind of layer system) and more.

In one or more articles for Resolution Magazine there are details given. I will try to find it as I have it on a CD-ROM somewhere, but over 2 or 3 articles he destroys the myths of SACD, one after the other.

Getting back to Beyarecords original question

I might be misunderstanding here (it is Monday) but surely we can already do this?
I can right-click any section of Audio (even if I have to get Scissors out & make my own section) and process it with any plugin or available offline process there is.
What am I not understanding, please?

The difference is that in Sampliquoia you don’t need to render, it’s a real time object attribute. You can e.g. loop a section and listen to your plugin tweaks in realtime in the mix. Also Sampliquoia has a spectrogram editor for audio clips.Very serious audio post features.

Understood - appreciate the info.
A good spectrogram editor is long overdue - as are some decent bundled restoration tools.