A few Observations

Hi everyone,
Noticing some things that affect my d-to-d process with N8. Some have been mentioned, others haven’t. Here’s a short list of the more frustrating issues:

Playback cursor - totally random visibility of this- no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it’s visible other times it’s not. Makes things really difficult when zoomed in close doing surgical editing. Maybe there’s a preference for this behavior? I haven’t seen it.

Time compression/expansion tool - Really not usable for post work. I have to start up 6.5 to do any actual work that matters.

AAF/OMF Export - Errors when opening in other DAWS like Protools. Folks aren’t seeing the total number of tracks, just one. Issue exporting stereo tracks. I’ll use N6.5 to do this reliably.

Incompatible between versions 6.5/8 - If I open a N6.5 project with 8, sometimes not all audio files will load. I open the project in 6.5 and have no issues.

Instability - It will randomly quit.

Audio Dropouts - No rhyme or reason here. Doesn’t seem to matter if I’m working on a network drive or local drive.

Hang ups - will randomly freeze up briefly but then pulls out of it. It actually does this twice each time… It doesn’t quit though.

Resource hog - Looking at the VST performance meter, seems like things are pegging way more than they did with 6.5. I haven’t changed my system config.

Audio to video export - this would be nice.

Anyway, there’s a lot I LOVE about N8, and I’m a huge fan, but it’s the little things that tend to make life miserable(like why check marks in the inspector rather than dots? And maybe we can get an LKFS meter option?? Why can’t I zoom pulling the cursor down on the timeline anymore?) OK I’m done… It’s not easy when you’re pushing the envelope all the time I know… Looking forward to the next update!!

BTW, I’m using Windows 7…

Playback cursor > - totally random visibility of this- no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it’s visible other times it’s not. Makes things really difficult when zoomed in close doing surgical editing. Maybe there’s a preference for this behavior? I haven’t seen it.

Check your edit mode toggle to see if it’s active or not (Transport → Edit Mode).

Time compression/expansion tool > - Really not usable for post work. I have to start up 6.5 to do any actual work that matters.

You can change which algorithm is used in the preferences (Prefs → Editing → Audio). You are likely wanting to change it to the same algorithm you were using in 6.5.

Incompatible between versions 6.5/8 > - If I open a N6.5 project with 8, sometimes not all audio files will load. I open the project in 6.5 and have no issues.

You’d need to be more specific. Try preparing archive on the project to copy all files into the working directory.

And maybe we can get an LKFS meter option??

LUFS and LKFS are the same thing and the loudness meter provides LU and LUFS options.

Why can’t I zoom pulling the cursor down on the timeline anymore?

You can.

Hi,

Check your edit mode toggle to see if it’s active or not (Transport → Edit Mode).

Yes, I have this active.

You can change which algorithm is used in the preferences (Prefs → Editing → Audio). You are likely wanting to change it to the same algorithm you were using in 6.5.

Yes, I have done this. Using Solo Musical which has been the best to use on voice.

LUFS and LKFS are the same thing and the loudness meter provides LU and LUFS options.

Understood. But the EBU average loudness standard is actually a dB louder than the American standard, though they technically use the same algorithm. My point is if you’re marketing to the US Nuendo should provide a US metering standard.

Why can’t I zoom pulling the cursor down on the timeline anymore?

I’ll have to dig into it more, but do you know what the setting is off hand?

If edit mode is active then you won’t see your cursor. Should be no difference between the 6.5 algorithm and 8.x so check that it’s actually using the one you expect. I’m not sure what you mean by EBU standard being 1dB louder? You can set your reference targets in the preferences but LUFS and LKFS should be reading the same values. Do you have a particular meter you’re referring to?

What I mean by playback cursor is the long vertical bar that scrolls over the project window when playing back. I know what edit mode is and how it behaves. I see the little cursor at the very top in the ruler scrolling, but not the long vertical bar. Or at least not every time. It’s the inconsistent behavior… This feels like a bug to me. Anyone else experiencing this?

I believe the EBU standard for average loudness is -23 LUFS as opposed to the ATSC standard of -24 LKFS. I’m using the TV loudness meter in Nuendo. I’ve already changed the ref setting to -24, etc. Just saying it would be nice to have the LKFS standard that’s all. ( This is just a gripe)

And the solo Musical alg in N8, is drastically different sounding than the 6.5 alg.

It’s consistent here, and that is indeed how it works. There’s a feature request thread somewhere on the forum about this very thing, iirc.

Thanks Steve. So you’re saying the playback cursor is behaving consistently for you? I wonder what may be causing this on my end then. Maybe win 7? I know some menu options have been moved around so do you think there may be an option/pref to control this? I suppose I could try reinstalling Nuendo or going to Windows 10?

Yes, consistent.

Are you sure something is wrong? Reinstalling isn’t indicated unless there’s actually a component missing.

How have you determined that it’s inconsistent?

The designed behavior currently is:
With video edit mode on, the the cursor disappears when the transport is stopped, and is displayed during playback, except for the bit on the timeline ruler which is always displayed.

Right. The inconsistent behavior is that it isn’t always displayed during playback.

Hmph. :wink: First step would be to start in Nuendo Safe Start mode- https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/safe-start-mode-resetting-the-cubase-preferences.html

OK cool. I’ll give that a shot…! I wonder if carrying over project templates and pref settings from version to version may have something to do with it?

So if I delete preference settings will that also delete all I/O settings(custom names) and key commands or just prefs? I tried the second option, opened an empty project and it did work at the start(playback cursor was visible), but then I selected Edit Mode and it stopped being visible, or started being random when zooming in and out and clicking around… Any other cache I can clear out?

You can research this yourself at https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115000245510-Preferences-of-Cubase-and-Nuendo :slight_smile:

Thanks Steve.

:slight_smile:

Just an update on the TC/E algorithms… I did switch to MPEX Solo Fast as a test and that actually sounded better than the MPEX Solo musical which has been recommended for voice. I stepped on it pretty good and didn’t hear as many artifacts, both compression and expansion, it sounded fairly clean. I’ll keep testing on other dialog tracks, but hopefully won’t have to start up 6.5 to do this anymore… :neutral_face: