A few questions regarding features for sound design

I thought I collect those here… otherwise I would annoy the moderators with multiple threads.

My questions are…

• Is there possibly pitch detection in the sample recorder?
  • Does the sample recorder find loops?
  • The language example on this website looks as if we get the opportunity to use lambda expressions in Halion Script, right? (this would be amazing for me… I’m into F# and Haskell…)
  • On which language is Halion Script based? I can’t identify it from looking at it but it looks like an object oriented language with first class functions to me
  • Can I find out about pressed keys in scripts? Like “lowest key pressed was C and 3 other keys were pressed” would be something I’d like to extract
  • Can we have multiple pages in the UI designer?
  • Can we (please :slight_smile: ) have a place on the forums where we can share our own libraries freely? :mrgreen:

Your last question has been answered by Matthias Quellmann in his announcement in the HALion 6 forum:

Let’s see:

Pitch and loop detection are not part of the new Sample Recorder, but can be found in the Sample Editor.

The HALion Script is based on the LUA script. You will be able to use the scripting for your instrument and even your own custom MIDI modules.

You can create multiple pages for your Macro Pages with page switches and so on. All the macro pages of the new instruments libraries will be open. So you can learn from our real life examples how to work with the MP Designer.

Valsolim already gave the answer to your last question. The HALion team is really looking forward to your designs!

Lua is a great choice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language) (I hope links to Wikipedia are allowed here…). :smiley:

I have already sampled much of the old 80s keyboard I have in mind… problem (until now) was just that none of the tools I had at hand could do what I wanted to do… so I have a GA4 drumkit here, a few Halion 5 patches with keyswitches there (with some clever quick control assignments to make the best use of the 8 controllers), but until February, 9th I can’t implement the accompainment robot and all that.

Seems like now I can. :ugeek:

I always envied the Steinberg content team for having a solution for making things like B-Box or Haliotron. :wink:

As an additional note: those toy keyboards from the early 80s were not actually bad. It was just that the limited user interface options back then needlessly limited their capabilities. Imagine what, say, a Yamaha PSS-470 could do with more controls on the surface. Not a different engine, just more controls.

And this is what I like to do most with such tools. Take ancient hardware, sample it and turn it into something that fits well into our decade. Like an addiction at times. :mrgreen:

(For my “Magic Tone 65” project I even sampled the three different static noises of the device and the sound the switches make when using them… so this may be optional parts of the patch as well… :smiling_imp: )

So, thanks to Steinberg for Halion 6 and to you and Valsolim for your friendly answers.

I’m looking forward to giving away stuff very, very much as well.

Can we sell the content we create in Halion? Are there license or other fees we need to be aware of?

You can sell your custom libraries as long as you don’t use any of the samples of the HALion factory content and there are no copyright infringements of any kind. But there won’t be any license fee for using the HALion platform.