A few suggestions to add to guitar input

Make your chord libraries global and completely editable by the user, and not only libraries for standard tuning but also for alternate tunings as well… And you don’t have to fill these libraries, let the user fill the ones they use, or better yet sell alternate tuning packs for those too lazy to input all those chord diagrams themself… Here’s what I’m looking for: Enter a chord (say C) then select it and trigger the chord flyout, all relevant alternatives for that chord (say C9,C11,C13,etc) should be right there in all their glory for me to click on to hear how it would sound, or as an added bonus have a preview button on each chord that would play like the 4-5 notes before your selection so you can hear it played in context…

Allow guitar tab harmonies on separate staves to resolve down to slashed harmonies (3/15) when condensed

Allow an audio track to be attached to a single stave (so I can send someone the staves for Guitar 1 say, but attach the audio for Guitar 1, Bass and Drums to it) so it can be sent to someone with DoricoSE and they can use the available stave to transcribe their part and send it back to be included into the full project

Allow import/export of Guitar Pro (.gp) format

Lyrics normally attached to vocal guide track in full score should be able to be attached temporarily (without having to include the vocal stave) to other staves when they are viewed individually for purposes of printing. Guitars 1 & 2 are normally printed together in one work condensed where possible, so must work in such instances as well

I seen a fella in one of your instructional videos describing the use of a server app he said that he constructed to stream VST instruments over his network into his project, can I get more intel on how to construct my own? Right now I use an open source project called Audio Gridder to stream VST’s into Cubase or other DAW’s but honestly, you should conspire with the Cubase team to make a tool specifically to do this with Steinberg products and do it well… Right now I try to keep the most minimalistic pc I can in my recording room and run all the noisy boxes in a more appropriate setting, but it really would be nice to have a native tool to allow me to access the GUI of a plugin elsewhere while streaming it’s contents across the ether with minimal or precompensated latency all build directly into the product

This is what layouts allow one to do.

Your final point refers to Vienna Ensemble Pro here.

Thanks for the reply Derrek,

I haven’t pulled the trigger and made the big investment yet so I’ve just been cramming in all the tuts I can… Glad to hear about the lyrics thing, I was watching one of the tuts and I thought it was mentioned that the lyrics could only be attached to one stave which in that instance was a vocal track, when the piano track was solo’d I believe it was mentioned that being the lyrics were on the vocal track those staves would need to be included to include the lyrics in that page setup… But yes, I failed to consider setting up different layouts for the different renderings.

And eh, I see that was just a VEPro feature at work… None the less, being that VST instruments and effects are the heart and soul in almost all setups, there should be a native low-latency conduit to transport VST over ethernet… It’s been proven more than possible by 3rd parties and being Steinbergs’ native protocol, they should be able to do wonderful things with it… There’s no reason people should be saddled with having what amounts to a highend rig in a hustle and bustle environment like the control room… With virtualization what it is today, it’s a no brainer to have your powerhouse a multi-CPU server racked up somewhere else with numerous different virtual machines on it and you only fire up the ones you need, then in the control room that box gets dedicated to doing nothing but rendering audio… With AVB or DANTE on top of that, come on now

Thanks for your feedback on guitar chord diagrams, @BungalowBill. We may well add features that move in the direction of Cubase’s Chord Assistant (where it can actively suggest alternative voicings or chords) in the future.

Thanks for the reply @dspreadbury, and I’m pleased to hear that this is a topic of discussion in your group… It seems that most all the tools necessary are available for transcribing finished works, but Dorico could also prove a very valuable tool for writing works as well… It’s a spotty market at the moment for those that would like to get their money’s worth out of virtual instruments that aren’t necessarily album quality, but using them to produce demos and easily also include all that a session musician or regular player might need to get right up to speed when it comes time to lay the finished product to tape may be the perfect use for them… Honestly that could save tremendous amounts of time not having players wasting studio time trying to figure out their parts, when it can be more easily done preproduction throwing tablature around instead… Though alot of guitarists use Guitar Pro to learn because there’s so much readily available, this is why including import/export of .gp format for a handful of stringed instruments would be a valuable addition

@dspreadbury Oh and another suggestion to throw in… Steinberg already has VST Transit for collaboration, what’s the chances of getting Dorico involved in that so Dorico users could see those same benefits collaborating on scores? The system, user management and storage are already there and functional, all you’d have to do is open a door for Dorico users into it… Then even Cubase and Nuendo users could contribute basic scores… Just a thought

Do remember that (with the exception of the audio engine) Dorico’s codebase is completely different to Cubendo’s. Your “all you’d have to do” is perhaps a little presumptuous.

@pianoleo Not really, you aren’t sharing anything that would conflict in that respect as all that’s being shared is an XML file… The difference is being easily able to collaborate with people whom you may not even know

Yes, but VST Transit runs within Cubendo, right? Dorico is built on a completely different application framework to Cubendo, so elements of the VST Transit engine may have to be rewritten in order for it to run on Qt.

From an order of operations perspective, I’d have to almost completely finish my work in Cubase before I’d even have a finished project to transcribe in Dorico… When in a more appropriate setting, I wouldn’t even fire Cubase up until I had a project almost complete in Dorico as it would save loads of time

@pianoleo That’s true, but I’m sure XML is a part of VST Transit already so Dorico would have to grab into that pipeline… You aren’t sharing any audio or video data so I’m not sure how QT would impact anything