A Little Confused !!!

Hi Hope someone can help.
I am using Artist 8 on windows 10 and i am trying to install some vst’s. I have installed them(they ARE for window’s and not Mac) and they appear in program listed under inserts,but the vst’s won’t open.
It struck me that there seems to be at the last count 3 possibilties where to download the vst’s to and i don’t know which is the correct folder:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins (where my addictive drums dll’s automatically dowloaded to)
C:\Users\Giles\Documents\VST3 Presets

Would appreciate some clarification thx :slight_smile:

The installer should install them into the correct folder automatically. By default most plugins are installed to one of these folders:

What plugins are you having trouble with?

• The first folder is where the programm itself (if it is a 64 bit version) keeps its plugins (= the Steinberg Cubase-related plugins).

• The second folder is where you put third party plugins, but only the 32 bit versions.

• The third folder is a preset folder (one of different possible preset folders, depending on the plugin’s/vendors structure).

If you are using a 64 bit Cubase version, the plugins also should be 64 bit versions. The dll’s then are to be put into

• C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins

If you either have put the correct 64 bit plugin into the wrong “… (x86) …” folder, or the “wrong” 32 bit plugin into the “right” "… (x86) … " folder, it will not work. (I wrote right in quotes because many 32 bit plugins will not work within a 64 bit Cubase version. Some will, some don’t. Some may work if you use a so called bridge. Cubase has a bridge itself, but it doesn’t work with all 32 bit plugins).

If your plugin has a 64 bit version, use this one. And see that the 64 bit dll gets written into the “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins” folder.

(Be aware that if it is NOT a VST 2, but a VST 3 plugin, there is one more Folder: “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3”)

Additionally, be VERY careful not to point to plugin folders that contain 32-bit versions of plugins you have installed in 64-bit. If at all possible, simply prepare just ONE 32-bit folder and only put those plugins in it that do not have 64-bit versions, and better still avoid all 32-bit right from the start - you will have a much easier life with fewer crashes.

How can a person know whether a plugin is 32 bit or 64 bit? Is there any way of knowing by looking at the file itself?

Usually the installer mentions it. If not, you can see it in Cubase from the little icon before the VST name.

thanks all. very many very good answers and it now has been sorted. sorry for not thanking you all sooner :slight_smile: