A node diagram for effect processing

Hi all,

I am new to Cubase, I do not use it for professional work, just for hobby, so I might be entirely wrong on this. But I am a developer myself and I use many other software for fun, and this is basically where the idea is coming from.

I always find kinda difficult to remember, by just looking at the GUI, the order in which the effects are being processed. We have the pre insert slots, then that horizontal chain (I think it is called strip or stripe), then there is pre fader sends, than the fader, than the post fader sends, and finally the post fader inserts… but the order in which those are displayed is very different from the order of execution. I find also the sidechain very confusing to visualize in my head, what is connected to what, if one uses it heavily.

Wouldn’t a node diagram be both easier to visualize and more flexible? By node diagram I mean for example what Blender (a 3d rendering software) is using for processing materials. Every node, according to some rules, can be connect as input/output to/from virtually any other node in any order, with endless possibilities.

I know this might sound weird, but actually with audio processing makes even more sense to have a node diagram, since this is what one would normally do in the real world with actual cables, connecting together different effects and instruments.

Steinberg could still provide a limited number of nodes according to the Cubase Edition (AI, LE, Elements and so on), meanwhile always leaving to the user the full freedom of deciding how to connect them (like those limitations such as 2 post insert slots on Cubase Elements would be gone, but still could be e.g. a 6 nodes overall limitation).