A question/request on creating/copying/cutting/pasting/duplicating/moving "frame/system break"

Hello,

A “frame/system break” is allowed only in Engrave mode

However, copying, cutting, pasting, duplicating and moving of their signposts are allowed only in Write mode.
Thus, I should switch very often Engrave mode and Write mode when working with “frame/system break”.

Are there any specific reasons that Dorico does not allow to be copied, cut, pasted, duplicated in Engrave mode?
I would be nice when we work these all features without changing modes.

What do you think about it?

Are you copying and pasting breaks that have special properties attached? If so, I can see your point, though it goes against the rule that nothing can be copied/pasted/duplicated in Engrave mode.

If you’re thinking about just copying and pasting regular breaks, then how is Shift+S any slower than Cmd/Ctrl+V?

In Engrave mode, creating a break needs two steps:

1. selecting a bar line or a note
  2. pressing shift + s

In Write mode, duplicating a break needs two steps, too. However, we need only the second step after selecting a signpost:

1. choosing a break-signpost
  2. alt+clicking a note or a bar line

Thus, inputting breaks in Write mode is more convenient than inputting breaks in Engrave mode, but Format properties do not appear in Write mode…

The best way would be creating a break by clicking a bar or a note with a modifier(s) in Engrave mode.

• “Alt + Mouse Click”: creating a system break
  • “Shift + Alt + Mouse Click”: creating a frame break
    However, the keyboard shortcut in the preference does not allow a mouse click.

Are you copying and pasting breaks that have special properties attached?

I mean this point as well, but Write mode provides only Break type. The other properties are invisible.

Daniel’s solution here works (I’m using it) for system and frame breaks with a keyboard shortcut in write mode:

Daniel’s solution here works (I’m using it) for system and frame breaks with a keyboard shortcut in write mode:

In Write mode, Dorico shows only the Break type in the property panel.
We need to see/control all other properties to work with breaks.