A resolution lower than 1? What?

When I open the sample editor and, for example, elect to draw a change on the selected track - or any change - I get the message ‘Please zoom to a resolution that is lower than 1’.

This basically shuts me down because I cannot understand what I have to do to change the zoom resolution. Would someone please tell me how I change the zoom feature in the Edit window? THANK YOU!!!

Agreed. Please make a better error message for this one.

It’s been around forever.

Seems to make perfect sense to me. You have the draw tool selected; you cant use the draw tool if you are zoomed to a value that is higher than one. If you didn’t get this error, you would wonder why nothing was happening. You have to either zoom in (to a value lower than one) to use the tool selected, or change the tool to (for ex.) the range tool.

Cubase even tells you what the value is via the Info Bar.

Cheers.

Hm. First off, I love that it makes sense to you!! This means that you can maybe explain to me how I can shrink the sample to a size that the draw tool will work on?

If I am not making myself clear, I am getting the message that the sample is too big, but I have no idea why that should be or how to make the sample small enough to edit. When you say that the size of the sample is listed in the edit window somewhere - did you say this? - I do not see this info. Where exactly do I look and is this also where I make a size change?

You need to zoom in until the horizontal scaling is correct.

Use ether the G/H keys or the horizontal scroll slider at the bottom right.

Have a look at this vid - it should explain everything.

http://jeffreyhayat.com/peterzoom.mp4

Please don’t ever become a UX designer. You sound like the engineers I work with. The two roles are vastly different, and strangely also seem to be mutually exclusive.

The engineer builds it in and understands it perfectly without any thought whatsoever that the non-engineer user will be completely confused. See it every single day.

Cheers

If you are not zoomed into at least 1, you are not seeing all the points of data to edit, so you cannot edit what you cannot see - seems rather obvious, so Cubase warns you that you cannot see all the points (inadequate zoom).

I don’t see why this message is such an issue, and understanding how to zoom in and out with Cubase should be something learnt on day one of learning to use Cubase, knowing how to zoom is rather fundamental to using any of Cubase’s edit screens.

Alright, I’m back with an understanding of sorts. First off, I did see the size described in the black window/bar area within the editor header. And I was able to use the zoom tool to get things down below the elusive ‘1’ size - and more importantly I was able to use the pencil to redraw a wave or two.

However my reaction to this feature/process is one of surprise and confusion. I’m surprised because I thought this particular editing feature would deliver a broader stroke to the wave file, but yet here it is editing something so small it seems not worth the effort. True enough, the drawing process is seamless and the single redrawn wave falls easily into place. But i have to ask what exactly would be the main use of such a feature? Do typical users of this process use it mainly to edit ragged spikes in an otherwise beautiful audio wave? For midi editing mainly?

And clearly at this point, if I have actually used the pencil/drawing feature as it is intended, you might better understand my original confusion with the sizing. I just couldn’t/can’t understand why the feature would only work on such a small scale. Is there a use and way of use that I am missing?

Btw, another thing I ran into here in the editing window? When you use the speaker icon to hear the audio of a wave, keeping the speaker icon in one place and engaging the left click of the mouse, the audio will play correctly at first, repeating from exactly the same start point. But then after 4-7 clicks the audio will pickup where the played wave stopped. In other words, the playback audio does not return to where the speaker icon is, but instead plays downwind of it. And then after this happens it will return again to the the speaker icon location and play correctly. And this pattern repeats over and over.

Anybody else care to comment on this? Is it a known bug? Can anyone else duplicate this?

I think you might need a broader explanation on another forum as well as this where you might get a radically different viewpoint that makes more sense to you.

I just couldn’t/can’t understand why the feature would only work on such a small scale. Is there a use and way of use that I am missing?

I’ve used this feature to eliminate clicks in joined parts where I couldn’t get a satisfactory cross fade. At this resolution it’s precise, though hard to audition. The speaker tool is almost useless. Unless you set up locator points for listening and a marker on the edit, it’s very easy to lose where you are working. Might be good to be able to draw at higher resolutions too, but it’s definitely useful.

I do such editing in Wavelab only (or let Wavelab take care of it), but it is meant for surgical edits at the sample level. Usually for distortions due to previous editing (a wave is cut off anywhere else but at a zero-crossing) or because of distortions from recording. You have to understand that an edit in a, say, 15 kHz tone means you have 15,000 x 2 zero-crossings per second. If a draw tool would work with even 10 ms in view, you’d be eliminating short of 300 zero-crossings by one pen stroke. You don’t wanna listen to that! :sunglasses:

Ulesto and Arjan, thank you for the info. Honestly, at this point, I don’t think I would ever find myself using this pencil tool. :slight_smile: I mean, it’s possible, now that I am clear on its operation and purpose, but I truly doubt it. Using Crossfade in the past there have been occasional clicks, true, but I have always been able to figure a way around it when it happens - and not using the edit window pencil feature. (Of course, the key to getting the Crossfade to perform without clicks is to expand a wave large enough to see the centerline of the wave and cut it there before joining sections, and most folks using Cubase know this.) On the occasion that somebody brings me a really bad recording with clicks in it that needs to be cleaned up, WaveLab is much easier to use for this purpose, as you point out, Arjan.

Well, thank you all for getting me on the right page. I realize it makes me look naive and Cubase illiterate to post my original question but I really could not understand the process or reasons to use the pencil tool. The scale of the process just did not make sense to me. And now that I do understand it I also believe that I don’t think I need it much in my process. Ha! But I’m sure some here use it all the time, no offense intended.

Well, thank you all for getting me on the right page. I realize it makes me look naive and Cubase illiterate to post my original question but I really could not understand the process or reasons to use the pencil tool. The scale of the process just did not make sense to me. And now that I do understand it I also believe that I don’t think I need it much in my process. Ha! But I’m sure some here use it all the time, no offense intended.

Correct. They do. It’s not rocket science. No offense intended.

You’re welcome,and don’t feel too dumb, at least you’re a crossfade master.

I think you might need a broader explanation on another forum as well as this where you might get a radically different viewpoint that makes more sense to you burger king customer survey.