A shot across Steinberg's VST3 bow?

More discussion on HN:

:clap:

Well, itā€™s whether their approach fits the requirements of users & developers. Theyā€™ll lose customers if they have it wrong. The perceived arrogance is not going to win any favours either.

Iā€™ve had a play with CLAP and itā€™s much simpler, supports MPE, Multi-port output and MIDI 2.0 off the bat, minus the restrictions that SB employ being truly open source and licensed under MIT - meaning itā€™s a service to the audio world, not a money maker.

Nice slogan thoughā€¦
VST3 : ā€œTechnically and practically betterā€

2 Likes

Well as a user itā€™s only my concern if the plugin does what I want. Iā€™ve yet to see VST3 developers tell me that the plugins Iā€™m using have a problem or lack functionality because of VST3. So from my perspective it simply doesnā€™t matter. And as for losing customers weā€™ll just have to see I guess. I think itā€™d be borderline idiotic to swap DAWs because Cubase/Nuendo doesnā€™t support CLAP, it would have to be because thereā€™s a plugin that doesnā€™t support VST3, and at that point of course you could just as well ask if the developer is willing to lose out on revenue just to spite Steinberg or if thereā€™s a net profit from avoiding VST3 completely.

But VST3 supports MIDI 2.0 as well, correct?

Cute.

now i see a potential on the newbie / lazy developer niche.
i prefer my hardcore friends that can code in Assembly .

No one wants performance gains, of course.

1 Like

very well saidā€¦Its pretty clear a lot of big dogs want to consider this. I have been using U-He and Surge plugins in the latest Bitwig beta, and CLAP is truly a remarkable format to work with. It allows some very interesting modulation and automation capabilities.

1 Like

Midi 2.0 could be a viable answer to CLAP for steinberg if they dont want to support CLAP obviously, and more power to them. These are all options for the end user so everyone has an opportunity to utilize features across every daw. None of it is a bad thing. CLAP isnt a bad thing, neither is VST3. Best to have an open mind and accept as many choices as possible

1 Like

They sound an absolute blast! :+1:

1 Like

If you read my post and think about it (!) youā€™ll notice that Iā€™m saying that if one needs a plugin that doesnā€™t support VST3 then it makes sense to switch DAWs, and by ā€œsupport VST3ā€ I actually meant with full functionality.

Iā€™ve seen absolutely nothing about CLAP providing performance gains, but maybe you can point me in a direction where I can read about that. Perhaps itā€™s about threading control which I remember seeing something somewhere but didnā€™t read. Is that it?

Steinberg should be leading the way with MIDI 2.0. But right now, I canā€™t work out the path theyā€™ll take. Particularly in regard to the exchange components and modulation options. Thereā€™s just so much at the heart of the DAW that relies on MIDI CC.

I think it will be the turning point where other DAWs really start to take the lead, particuarly with CLAP as an option leaves less reliance on Steinberg and how they control the VST3 spec.

Letā€™s be honest, VST3 note expression is a flop, the articulation/key switching system is antiquated, and any MIDI 2.0 hardware integration will be heavily biased towards Yamaha/SB gear. As things start to open out in the audio world I think their incestuous nature could be a real hindrance.

To say Iā€™m worried about the future of Cubase is an understatement. Hopefully we see some good developments in the coming years.

1 Like

No, itā€™s all a lie. Rememberā€¦

VST3: ā€œTechnically and practically betterā€.

Thereā€™s a good boy.

If youā€™re going to attribute phrases to me then please do me the f-ing courtesy of quoting exactly what I wrote buddy. I wrote as follows:

"I just get the feeling that Steinbergā€™s approach seems to be technically and practically the better approach "

ā€œapproachā€ does not = ā€œVST3ā€
ā€œget the feelingā€ and ā€œseems to beā€ should be obvious.

Your attitude sucks.

I can see this being Blockbuster video all over again. Blockbuster failed because they were not able to forecast and change along with something that was up and coming.

If companies dont have an answer to CLAP or the adoption of CLAP, its going to cause them lots of pain in the future

Then block me and do everyone a favour. You canā€™t be bothered to even educate yourself on a subject your debating.

You say that A is ā€œBetterā€ than B, when you donā€™t even know what B is.

Iā€™m trying to have a sensible conversation here, but Iā€™ve got you and another guy who has ā€œHardcore assemblyā€ friends who say itā€™s a waste of time and canā€™t even explain why.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s just a coincidence youā€™re both getting free licenses.

On top of that, youā€™re telling me I have a attitude that sucks, and the other guy is implying Iā€™m a lazy/newbie. Wow, youā€™re both incredibly great representation for SB.

3 Likes

But itā€™ll depend on whatā€™s available to users though, right? In order for the companies that donā€™t support CLAP to suffer financially there would have to be plugins that are either CLAP only or have clearly defined and desired functionality that is CLAP only and then users would choose to leave a DAW because they needed those features so badly they had no choice.

I think the prospect of that isnā€™t all that great. Perhaps itā€™ll make a difference at the lower end of the market, but certainly at the top I doubt itā€™ll change much. For Nuendo and Pro Tools for example I canā€™t see many professionals ending up switching because a plugin (or its functionality) isnā€™t available in non-CLAP formats. I think at that level people will just pick plugins that are available rather than spend the time and money to switch DAWs.

Do you comprehend the difference between ā€œisā€ and ā€œseems to beā€?

LoL, what? Iā€™ve paid for every version of Nuendo since version 1. Literally. What ā€œfree licensesā€ are you talking about? I pay for iZotopeā€™s plugins. UAā€™s plugins. I have exactly zero software that I use professionally that Iā€™ve been given. Zero.

Youā€™ve gone from just ā€œmisrepresentingā€ what I say to straight up lying about me.

I think some folk need to do their homework first before even attempting to comment.

Iā€™ve gone a step further and blocked you too. I apologise to anyone reading this junk.

You know Avid is on the list of developers looking to support CLAP right?