A Silent Slap Of Time - 2011

A fresh new version of a song a wrote a few years back. This isn’t the final mix… there’s a couple of tweaks to be made but I thought it worth putting up for public scrutiny now - see what folks think? There’s some more info to come but I’ll get to that later… :wink:

A Silent Slap Of Time (2011)

Shadows fall where she lies
Curtains drawn since yesterday
The truth of our existence
Questions the heart of everything

You’ve lived in the sunshine,
And you walked in the rain.
Treasures gathered in the good times
Will always remain
Will always remain

The stars began to burn
Through the sheets of clouds
In a moment of infinite length
The silent slap of time

Will always remain
Will always remain

Dust lies on your dreams
Sorrow your only prize
Like a canvas to an artist
Life is redesigned

Will always remain
Will always remain
Will always remain

this i find a backdrop for a lovescene in a movie. The beginning is a lot more sad, i was a little thrown off when that 'happy’beat came in. Not what i expected, but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. what did you use on the vocals now and then? A leslie or a tremolo?
The mix sounds ‘old’ I don’t know why, as if it’s recorded long ago as a demo. Can not put my finger on it why though.

greetz Dylan.

Hiya Ian. Sounds great. I like the kit and the vocal processing. Good stuff :sunglasses:
Cheers
Phil

I get what you’re saying, and actually the song was inspired by a real situation which was indeed sad, though the messge in the chorus is actually supposed to be a little more uplifiting.

what did you use on the vocals now and then? A leslie or a tremolo?

That’s a tremelo that was used… :sunglasses:

The mix sounds ‘old’ I don’t know why, as if it’s recorded long ago as a demo. Can not put my finger on it why though.

If you do manage to figure out why it sounds ‘old’ I’d love to know! :smiley:

Cheers Phil. :slight_smile: Will reveal more later… :wink:

Bump. :wink:

Nice try. :laughing:

Real good song, Ian.
Great chorus!

Hope ya dont mind me saying, but sometimes when you sing high (I don’t mean stoned! :wink: :laughing: )
I hear a hint of Ozzy! :smiley:

Sav

:laughing: I don’t mind sounding like Ozzy :wink:

Anyway, this track wasn’t mixed by me and isn’t strictly ‘made with Cubase’ either - though it was originally! I was very lucky to have an offer of some professional input on this one! (and one other song as it happens).

Ed, a former member of Split Enz and NZ’s foremost producer offered to take this one onboard as a freebie :smiley: He used my original tracks but then changed tweaked and altered a quite lot of it. I was then in his studio “The Shed” for a couple of guided vocal sessions. :astonished: There’s also harmony vocals added that weren’t there originally - that’s Eddie, not me. Not a bad blend I thought for two non-singers! :laughing:

It’s also been interesting to see some of the techniques adopted using ProTools too. :slight_smile:
I’m not sure when I’ll actually get to hear the final mix, there’s been a few tweaks since this mix, but I guess he’s been kinda been busy doing stuff for famous people! :laughing:

Will always remain.

Very poetic! :stuck_out_tongue: