A Small Victory

I got these headphones a while ago (Beyer DT 880 Pro), and was kind of bummed out because I couldn’t figure out any way that I could get “150 hrs” of burn in time. I don’t spend that much time in front of the DAW, it would take me forever to do that. I didn’t want to have my computer cycle a CD, because it is getting kind of old, and I didn’t know how it would take to doing that for so long.

BUT … I have this cheapo 66-key almost throw away keyboard that has a “Demo Song” mode and a headphone out. Just on a whim I played it, and left it on. I came back 6 hours later - the song was still playing/looping!

So , on Tuesday night I can turn it off - “150 hr burn-in period …” - here I come!

P.S. It’s in my bedroom … it’s kind of hard to go to sleep … the demo song isn’t so good! :smiley:

lol :laughing:
You may find that the keyboard doesn’t really use the entire frequency spectrum though. I know not much about burning in speakers or headphones, but I suspect they might need a bit of everything to completely burn in.

To be honest: I don’t believe in this “burn-in” thing that much. I bevieve it’s more about people getting familiar with the sound of their new speakers/headphones than actual changes on reproduced sound during this period.

Exactly! If monitors/headphones/whatever needed a burn-out period … would the manufacturer
a. leave the burn-in to the end user … maybe … BUT would they leave it to the guy/gal picking up a random production unit and making a review to a well-known magazine like Mix or SOS
b. plug it into an sound generator/amplifier rig producing some pink noise for few dozen of hours before delivering out from the factory

Use your brains to pick up the right answer.

I always understood burn in was to catch early failure of components?

As explained here> Burn-in - Wikipedia

+1

I recall this very same topic came up in some audiophile/Hi-fi forum I browsed once. The folks there had gone as far as to contact various manufactures asking about the validity of ‘burn-in’. The replies were consistent, their headphones were good to go straight out of the box, no need for a so-called ‘burn-in’.

Burning-in makes absolutely no sense to me as far as solid-state circuitry goes. And, as far as say valves (tubes) go - any use ultimately contributes to the devices deterioration. And similarly, the elctro-mechanical components associated with speakers and headphones, well I can’t imagine there’d be much benefit to be had from ‘burning’ them in. Some say it ‘losens’ up the surround on the speakers cone. Again, these things tend to deteriorate over time so any ‘burning in’ is probably doing nothing more in practical sense other than taking a few hours off their life expectancy. Probably inconsequential however in terms of the manufacturers stated longevity.

:sunglasses:

yeah, burning in is right out of the snake oil lexicon as I’m concerned. :laughing: