A SpectraLayers Unmix Question

I’m using the SpectraLayers One version that comes with Cubase 11 Pro.

A friend sent me a track asking if I could separate out a violin solo from a background track. SpectraLayers is doing a terrible job, probably because the violin’s frequency range is higher than a standard female vocal range. Is there any setting in SL One that will let me fine tune the un-mix frequency range to violin?

-thanks, Mark

Hi
I think the only way you can do this with ONE is manually as it’s really just an introduction into SL’s With the pro version you can unmix the instruments as well

Hi Filter:
Thanks for the reply. Could you point me in the direction of where to start-should I first define a frequency range (say 300 Hz to 6 kHz) and region to un-mix? Any other settings that would help?

-thanks, Mark

Have you consulted the One manual?

Absolutely; I read all pertinent parts of it last night, as well as watching 9-10 youtube videos.

Lets say I want to understand what the Sensitivity parameter affects in the Unmix Vocal dialog. The manual helpfully states:

" Sensitivity adjusts how the artificial intelligence perform the separation."

Fantastic! (sarcasm)

I tested the program on a standard track with vocals, and it unmixed them quite well. The violin track I want to work on is quite busy and in a different register than a voice, so I’ll have to adjust some settings. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what those settings should be.

-thanks, Mark

Broaden your search to include the folks using the Pro stem separator if you haven’t done so already, since interest in One is probably relatively low. You might wander over to Gearslutz to the mastering forum to see if you can pick up anything there.

So you know exactly where I’m coming from, I played with stem separation tech for a while while using other audio programs. I felt like an unpaid beta tester after a while, and just stopped.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Poinzy. I might download the SL7 Pro demo and have a go at that. SL7 One seems to work fine for standard vocals but I might need a more flexible program for anything beyond that.

-Mark

You may be interested in the “Unmix” section of this page: Compare the Versions of SpectraLayers | Steinberg

Thanks Nico5 for the link. It looks like SL7 Pro is the one I need. I’ll be downloading the demo today and trying it out.

-Mark

1 Like