a suggestion: inputting pitch names into "Add Intervals Popover"

Hello,

I could miss something already exists. Please correct me if I miss it or if I am wrong.
Is there a way to input F3 (or F4. MIDI pitch 65) to a melody?
I am attaching a screenshot in which two boxes indicate two segments of a melody.
Screenshot 2019-04-12 12.39.39.png
My workflow was as follows:
After selecting two Ds in Box 1, I pressed “Shift+i”, then I typed -6.
After selecting the E-flat in Box 1, I pressed “Shift+i”, then I typed -7.
After selecting the D in Box 2, I pressed “Shift+i”, then I typed -6, and pressed = key.
After selecting the C in Box 2, I pressed “Shift+i”, then I typed -5, and pressed = key.

I think this a standard way in Dorico if I am not wrong.

My suggestion is as follows:
In this case, it would be more efficient if I could input F3 (or F4. MIDI pitch 65) by typing “-f” after selecting all pitches in Box 1 and Box 2.

How do you think about it?
If someone already suggested this, then please forgive me. I could not find any thread by searching.

It looks like a situation ripe for chord mode (Q) rather than the Shift+I popover.

if you don’t mind 2 passes, enter the top line, select the notes; do interval -6; and then just correct with alt-up/dn
(or even easier, get a keyboard :slight_smile:)

I agree with Leo. Using chord input (shortcut Q) you can type the name of the note you want to add above the current note. The Shift+I popover works by interval, because it’s common to want to add notes a third above or a sixth below (or whatever) a range of notes, but it’s pretty unusual to want to add (say) D above a whole passage of other notes. And if you do, add it with Q and then hit R to repeat it.

I’ve just stumbled with a situation where the popover would be useful and the chord input doesn’t work: when you want to add the same pitch to a series of notes. Actually somehow I thought that was possible, and I headed to the forum after smashing Shift+I, A, several times :laughing: :laughing: .

R is not too useful if the rhythm is different.
Q works ok if you use lock duration, but not too well without it, or if you want to add below instead of above.
after trying it, i would’ve preferred to just grab the notes (d to the c),
do shift-i-6 (to dup the rhythm and getting some space away), then lasso the bottom notes, have some way of saying make them all ‘f’ and then just sharp that one f. I’m with the OP here.