A VSTi scanner such as Akai´s new Virtual Instrument Player

Kontakt did it for its own line of products, but Akai is now launching software that should be able to scan all third party VSTis, and make all their presets available within a single browser. (Only included with their new line of Advance keyboard midi controllers.)

Akai describes it thus: “Using the custom-designed Virtual Instrument Player (VIP) software application, your entire VSTi library is controlled by one application. VIP operates as a plugin inside any major digital audio workstation (DAW) or as a stand-alone application on both Mac and Windows operating systems.”

This would be a great addition for Cubase, no?

Yes, a good and important suggestion. I think they should improve the media bay browser and should integrate this feature. Multi-instruments or multi-instrument-presets would be a part of that idea.

You´re right! It could be an expansion of the Media Bay Browser. I hate to be considering buying an Akai keyboard just because I want that software!

I have the Advance 49 running VIP.

The VIP software is only for VST2 instruments, so for any VST3s, you use Cubase’s regular methods – Track and Rack instruments and so on. VIP does not load VST Effects.

All in all, the Advance keyboard with Cubase makes for an impressive set-up, if perhaps a bit cumbersome at first. VIP has some stability issues, but it runs within Cubase or in Stand Alone mode.

I like Cubase’s way of dealing with Tracks and Racks, but am adapting to having VIP available within Cubase, too.

You get a very nice suite of VST instruments with the keyboard. An interesting set-up.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. I have an Advance 49 coming my way.

I do not have the Advance keyboard. I have the MPK 261 and it too came bundled with the VIP software.